Hi From NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MelissaNY, Oct 9, 2016.

1. MelissaNY

MelissaNY Just Hatched

Oct 9, 2016
    Just wanted to take a moment and say Hello. I am Melissa from Upstate NY, and a newbie to chickens. Always wanted some, but Hubby was/is not a fan. Regardless, we are getting some hens in the spring! Yay me!! In the meantime, we are gathering up what we will need for supplies, ordered a coop to be delivered in April,(I have plenty of time to make changes to it, as it's being built for me) picking out winter hardy birds, and finding ideas on coop arrangement set up..especially for the harsh Upstate winters here.I am planning on egg producers/pets, approx 18 of them. Thanks for the "add" and I look forward to reading through tops/ideas/ suggestions!

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! Yay! Chicken keeping!!! [​IMG] Believe me, as soon as you get the chickens your husband will love them!! (Yes, chickens are addicting!) We are very glad you joined and hope you have a wonderful time on here! Be sure you read through the Learning center for more tips on raising chickens! Enjoy! [​IMG]

3. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

:welcome It's great to have you here in this wonderful community! I hope you enjoy chicken keeping (it's very hard not to ;) ) as much as everyone here does and I'm sure your husband will soon realize how amazing chickens are! Good luck and never be afraid to ask questions! :D

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

6. MelissaNY

MelissaNY Just Hatched

Oct 9, 2016
    Thanks guys..glad to be here![​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hi from Kansas, Melissa, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard. Best of luck to you and your spring chickens! :weee

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Rule of thumb is to allow 4-5 sq. feet per bird inside the coop (excluding nest boxes and roosts) and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outside run. If birds will be staying in the coop during extended severe weather they could do with even more space. Crowded chickens act out by feather plucking, bullying(preventing others from drinking or eating) and at extremes even cannibalism.

Most breeds can tolerate cold MUCH better than heat. A solid cover over the run can offer some shelter from the elements - keep flyers inside, and climbing preds or dive bombing raptors OUT.

9. MelissaNY

MelissaNY Just Hatched

Oct 9, 2016
    Hi, and thank you! I think or coop will be plenty big. 12x22 for 18 hens, so just under 15sq feet indoors. Outside "confined" pen is planned at 20x20. All of it will sit inside of a 6ft stockade fenced yard, which is roughly 15, 300 plus Sq feet. The fenced yard is for additional semi protected area, and then they can free range on our additional 5-ish acres when we are home.

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! If you need any ideas or advice on building your coop, here is a great link, https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops, also, I have started a winter chicken keeping thread, so hop on over and check it out! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ks-for-coping-the-elements-with-your-chickens, and last, but not least, you might like to chat with other New Yorkers in this thread, they have the same weather as you, so they can give good advice on what they have done in the cold, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/231485/ny-chicken-lover. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have! :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by