Hi from Oh

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HomesteadStacie, Mar 12, 2014.

1. HomesteadStacie

HomesteadStacie New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    I'm a newbie from Ohio. I don't have chickens yet but I'm in love with them already. Being that I don't have any experience with them would it be best for me to buy chicks or hatch eggs to start?

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hi HomesteadStacie! I'm a Stacie, too, and from Ohio, although I live in Indiana now. [​IMG]

Chicken are a LOT of fun and I think you're going to love them! Personally, I'd recommend starting with chicks if you don't have any experience with chickens yet. After you tackle raising chicks then you might want to jump into hatching. It's very easy to get chicks this time of year, but not always so easy to have a successful hatch.

Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I personally think starting with chicks is easier. It takes a few hatches to really get it right. Chicks are instant satisfaction, where as eggs may not hatch with a lot of stress waiting. Your local feed store should be carrying chicks this time of year, or you can order them from a hatchery too. Make sure to wait until it is warmer in your area if winter still has it clutches on you so the babies make it to you safely.

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

4. HomesteadStacie

HomesteadStacie New Egg

Mar 12, 2014

Awesome. Thanks.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 on starting with chicks is usually the easiest thing to do.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - starting with sexed chicks is probably a good idea, but incubating eggs is a lot of fun.

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Hatching eggs sounds too stressful for me, chicks were awesome and I really want more :(

[​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I vote for chicks also.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by