Hi from OK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BFid, Mar 24, 2016.

1. BFid

BFid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2016
    OK
    Hi all! Been a long time reader/creeper off and on, thought I'd finally join.

Been working on a coop the past few weekends as we prepare to get our first chicks next week. Getting some Black Australorps from a local guy. Getting a handful of chicks to get started (6-10).
    I've never been a big poster on any forum I'm on, but I love the knowledge and experience to be had! That's what brought me here in the first place!
    My wife and I also have dobermans we show(ed) and both are finished/titled; Male is GCH and female CH! Hopefully they can learn to at least tolerate the birds, though they shouldn't have much interaction intentionally.

2. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG]

Glad you decided to stop lurking and join. Good luck with your flock!

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome!
    So glad you came out of lurk status and joined the fray. You have chosen a lovely breed for your start in this adventure.

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you haven't already, check out the Learning Center. There are some great articles in it that will help you get off on the right foot.

Thanks for joining us!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you join us.

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box).

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Nice to meet another dog person. I used to raise & show Cockers in the late'60s to 80's. I am always amazed at how many chicken folks also bred and showed dogs. Many still do. Some have had recent entries at Westminster. My thoughts are , when you like the finer quality in dogs, you tend to want the same in any other animal you possess.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. BFid

BFid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2016
    OK
    Thanks for the warm welcome and input!

9. BFid

BFid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2016
    OK
    That is awesome! The dog show world is pretty interesting, as everyone is very committed to everything they do. y dog breeder is actually giving me some feeders, waterers and other goods to help get started. She has a few peafowl now, and was telling me the other day how she used to have about every type of turkey I've seen in the catalogs!
    You hit the nail on the head on wanting the finer quality! People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I want a particular breed of chicken, or would like to get sheep/goat later in a particular breed. I have to remind them I don't make theses decisions lightly! That's half the fun, researching and reading to see how they compare, and then meeting the people involved in those breeds.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Incidentally one of the above responders MimMike breeds and show Icelandic sheepdogs. I got into hybridizing plants after I got out of dogs and just as fussy about partners chosen for that too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by