1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from OK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Libgrooms, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Libgrooms

Libgrooms New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    We started out with 8 2wk old chicKS. All was going well with our 2 standard poodles until the last two days when the actually jumped into the chicken yard with them and chased a couple almost to death. Then today they do it again and 3 didn't survive the game tag. They didn't attack them and dismember them just play rough. HELP please!!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

You need to post in the injuries/emergencies forum with a full description of injuries and preferably including photos.

You might also post in the coop/run construction section, sounds like you need to dog-proof your area.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG] - great advice from QMisha

CT

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have with us. I agree with the above. Some serious dog proofing is in order. Best of luck to you! :)

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] You are gonna have to keep the dogs away from the chickens. Build a predator proof area for the chickens and keep the dogs away from them. Remember, dogs are predators and chickens are prey. Some dogs get along with chickens and some don't. Keep your chickens safe! And give your dogs better toys to play with.

6. Libgrooms

Libgrooms New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    I feel just awful :( they got along so well with they them as little chick's in the house. Now this! They are inside digs for the most part. They didn't EAT them they chased and played with them to death, poor things.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Doesn't matter if they didn't eat them - their behavior killed them anyway. They shouldn't have gotten a second chance. Dogs + chicks = dead chicks. Dog has fun- chicks end up dead. No fun for them.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Libgrooms

Libgrooms New Egg

Oct 2, 2016
    I joined the group to learn something from experienced chicken enthusiasts. I share my unfortunate situation and get ridicule but no sound advice. We moved the chicks yard from where the dogs had easy access. So we did TRY to do something rather than just give the dogs a second chance. Not quite that naive.

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by