Hi from Oklahoma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by freezefamilyfarm, Nov 22, 2010.

1. freezefamilyfarm

freezefamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Hi, I joined a few days ago and just got around to doing an introduction. I have been married to my husband, who was raised on a farm, for 16 years and had always been resistant to keeping livestock. However, as I have learned more and more about industrialized food production I have given him the go-ahead and we now have quite a little farm going on our 2 1/2 (that's all) acres. We currently have 4 feeder pigs we are wintering on our garden area, 6 rabbits and 40 chickens. Our chickens are kept in chicken tractors, one larger coop split into two areas and one smaller a-frame, however we let them free-range in rotations. (We have two roosters) I bought the majority of these birds from an acquaintance whose grandfather had died and he had been the main caretaker. So I acquired a bunch of Ameraucanas (probably some mixed). I am totally loving my chickens now, love to watch them run the yard. Besides the Ameraucanas, we have one GC Marans Rooster, 1 GCM Hen, 1 BCM Hen, 1 Buff Orp rooster and 4 BO hens, 1 RIR Hen, and other mixed or unknown hens and Kevin, a bantam barred cochin cockerel who we love!

Our neighbor has about a 3 acre area he has offered to us to keep goats and so we are considering goats in the spring. I would like at least one to milk. Any advice is appreciated!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington

Sounds like you'll fit right in.

Imp

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Welcome! Welcome! Sounds like a great spot you have. You would probably enjoy the sister sites on here. One about gardening and the other self sufficiency. Your little farm sounds delightful!

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Hello and [​IMG] from Missouri.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome from Oregon!

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  9. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

10. freezefamilyfarm

freezefamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Found the okie thread and LOVE it. Hope to see lots of you at the nationals (in my backyard [​IMG], well almost) in a few weeks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by