Hi from Oregon. I am a new owner of 6 hens, but only a few are laying.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sethsnet, Jan 7, 2014.

1. sethsnet

sethsnet New Egg

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi,
    We are a family new to raising chickens. I have 4 white Leghorns, what I believe is a Ameraucana, and a Speckled Sussex. I got them about two weeks ago. It was slow after the move with 1 and 2 eggs and I am now averaging 4 white eggs. Do the Ameraucana and Speckled Sussex take longer to calm down from a move? I know I haven't been getting eggs from them since they are very white eggs and the Sussex should be giving a brown egg. Its been cold so I put a 20w red light in the coop to give a little warmth. The previous owner was not using a light at all.

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way. I have already a lot from browsing on the BYC website.

Seth

2. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Hi Seth. Welcome to BYC and congrats on the new birds. You will love owning them. As long as your coop protects your birds from the weather and drafts they should be fine. Added heat is really not recommended. If your birds get use to the added heat then something happens and your power goes out your birds will REALLY suffer when they have to deal with the actual temp all the sudden. It is much better to let them get use to the actual temp and adjust to that. They are a lot tougher than you'd think.

How old are your birds? Were they all laying before you got them? The move could have thrown them off for a little bit or it could be the short days of winter or even the cold temps. I would just give them time and see what happens.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    :welcome

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    Hello from Maine, and welcome to BYC!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Are you also giving them 14 hours of regular light / daylight? Most chickens need that to lay in the winter, first year pullets and some commercial breeds may lay without it, but most breeds will not. White Leghorns are usually from commercial lines and tend to be very consistent layers, the Sussex and Ameaucana/EEs not as much... adding moving to the cold and short daylight hours, they may not lay again until spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by