Hi from PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kheseman, Sep 21, 2016.

1. kheseman

kheseman Just Hatched

Aug 7, 2016
    Hi everyone my name is Kennita. We just moved to PA about a year ago. We decided to start raising chickens. We have 4 red Rangers and 6 black star hens. We love our flock!!! We raised all our hens from chick's and they are all laying now :)
    I love this site. It has helped so much.

2. junkman56

junkman56 Chillin' With My Peeps

hello, what part of Pa.
    I am in the north western part of Pa.

3. kheseman

kheseman Just Hatched

Aug 7, 2016
    We live in williamsport/jersey Shore area :)

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello and Welcome to Backyard chickens! I just love raising hens from 1 day old chicks and watching them grow up! It is so much fun and a great learning experience. Aren't Red Rangers fryers? My family raises 200 of those annually for meat, but I guess maybe they lay as well. I hear Black Stars are very good layers, I personally have never raised them, but I hear they are great! I hope you enjoy Backyard chickens! Welcome to the club!:D

5. kheseman

kheseman Just Hatched

Aug 7, 2016
    I love my chickens:) we had a red Ranger rooster but something got in the coop and killed him. :( we where so sad. Yes red Rangers are fryer chickens but they lay very large brown eggs. We can't bring ourselves to kill them for the meat.
    Our black stars just started laying. They are such great chickens :)

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    I see. Well if they lay good large eggs, why not? I would just limit their feed intake a little bit, so they will not get overweight and keel over from heart attacks. I know what you mean with liking them and not wanting to kill them, I always get attached to one or two each batch and it breaks my heart to kill them.

7. kheseman

kheseman Just Hatched

Aug 7, 2016
    Oh wow!! I didn't know they could get overweight and have heart attacks.:( how do I limit there feed intake?

8. kheseman

kheseman Just Hatched

Aug 7, 2016
    We did get a new rooster a few days ago that someone was giving away. I'm not sure what breed he is. What do you think?[​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens - so glad to hear it has been of help to you. You can post the photo of your rooster at "what breed or gender is this."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by