Hi from PA.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by padave, Aug 28, 2011.

1. padave

padave New Egg

Aug 28, 2011
    I'm ready to get about 3-4 hensfor eggs only. My local laws permit chickens as long as there is no noise and no smell. As far as the noise goes would anyone here recomend a certian breed that is quiet or do they all make noise. I just don't want to go through all the trouble of building a coop and having a complaint and I would have to scrap the whole project.

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

It all depends on the individual bird, some will say some are quieter than others. They can be noisy when they do the egg song. If you bribe your neighbors with eggs you might be OK.
    [​IMG] Hi, from Big Bear Calif, always good to meet another feather brainier. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  3. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG] -- my barred rocks seem to be less noisy than my buffs ... but you may get a "talker" even with them ..... I don't know how you feel about Bantams,but I would have to say my Cochin bantams are the best about being quite.... good luck

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    [​IMG]

6. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG]

7. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] from NY just don't get a rooster and you won't have a problem with noise

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, padave! Happy you joined our site! I think it depends on your neighbors. I think some breeds might be less vocal but if you can pay off a neighbor occasionally with a few eggs it might be worth the effort. Best of luck! [​IMG]

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Our Red Stars are very quiet. Our Rhode Island Reds, not so much. Good luck with your hens and welcome aboard!

10. OnBorrowedWings

OnBorrowedWings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Welcome from another newbie
    This is a great forum - enjoy, and good luck with your quiet stealth hens!
    www.madcap.name

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by