Hi from PA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by emilyschicks, Apr 14, 2012.

1. emilyschicks

emilyschicks New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    south central PA
    I've had chickens for five years and currently have 10 hens and a rooster. No pure breeds left (imagine fluffy gold rhode island reds that brood). I'm currently having problems with chicks and hope this community will be able to help. Posted this in the Emergencies form yesterday: Thanks, Emily

I have had free range chickens for about 5 years and always let a hen or two brood and raise her chicks on her own. Last year was the first year I had a mass death of chicks, once from an owl and once from an unknown ailment that killed the chicks at about two weeks. Two days ago my experienced mama hen hatched one of her 11 eggs, the chick seemed healthy until I found it dead the next night. Her second chick hatched yesterday and seemed fine except for a slightly distended stomach, however, tonight the chick was unable to stand and its legs were stuck out at an unusual angle. I’m afraid whatever is happening to this chick is what killed its sibling and I really don’t want the whole brood to go down! Please help!
    I really don’t want to have to bring them inside. I tried that once and hated the results; those chickens were slow to react to danger and never fully bonded with the rest of the flock.
    A lady I ran into at the feed store today thought the problem might have something to do with how they hatch. This makes sense because the shells this year are really thick; however, they seem fine for at least the first 12 hours after hatching…

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined us

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I will go to your other post for question. :thumbsup

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

9. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Hello and welcome! Sorry I can't help with your problem, I'm new to chickens [​IMG] But I hope you find some good answers!

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

It is possible that your hens may have a chronic infection that does not affect them, but is more dangerous to chicks. Hopefully someone can help you in the disease section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by