Hi from Pine Valley CA

frostedcombs

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
Grew up with chickens on a ranch in Otay CA. When my daughter turned 5 we decided to start up for her. Now I am kinda into it.
We live east of San Diego in the hills at about 4,000 feet. Our hens are in a 15x15 with a henhouse inside. The coop is inside about 1/2 acre of deer fenced apple orchard so they can run around.

I joined here because we are putting eggs in the incubator today to hatch for Easter and will be posting for the girls friends to follow.

20 FBCM (purchased from a guy in San Diego)
22 FBCM Roo x Welsummer hen (our Welsummer rooster croaked before our project started and we had a FBCM rooster)
01 FBCM Roo x Olive Egger

Will post pics of the eggs and incubator later today.

Glad to be here!

FrostedCombs

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Good luck with your hatch!

We let them out of the coop in the morning and back in before dusk. The coop wire is 1x2 14 gauge and is buried to 2 feet.
Sure a bobcat or mountain lion could get over or through the dear fence it, but it keeps the coyotes and dogs out. It is a risk we take to let them run. Crossed fingers no issues.

Hi, and welcome! We just have chicks right now, but we're going to let ours free range, too. Calculated risk, like you said, but I think they're happier that way.

Back
Top Bottom