Hi from Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bluesub, Jan 4, 2011.

1. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Hello,

Eventually I want to have some backyard chickens, but I want to be prepared. I live North of Pittsburgh and will probably have to protect my chickens from hawks, a resident fox on my property, a Great Horned Owl that nests on my property and of course my beagle...

Currently I am caring for some chicks for a third grade science teacher. She bought fertilized eggs from a farm and now, of course, is looking for a home for them (I'm sure this is probably a recurrent theme on this forum...). The farm where she bought the eggs did not have any crumble, so they gave her adult food and said she should just grind it up a little. Five chicks hatched (out of 48 eggs). One died the first day, two died after about 3 weeks. I went and found some medicated crumble and took the remaining two chicks home. One almost died Christmas day, but I spent the day giving it electrolytes with a dropper and it eventually recovered. They have been eating the crumble for about 1.5 weeks and they are finally growing. They are very sweet chicks and used to people and kids. I know I am not ready to give them a home, so I am looking for someone willing to add them to their flock. Eventually, I will build a coop and enclosed run for some chickens, but with three kids, it may take awhile...

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Welcome, from Eastern Wa. I like many BYCers bought day old chicks and had the five week crunch to move them outside LOL. It never occurred to me to do it the you are describing. Although it may be wiser.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] from North Western PA!

4. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from North Carolina

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Holmes' Homestead

Holmes' Homestead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2010
    Schuylerville NY
    Welcome from a fellow Pittsburgh region resident. I grew up there, but moved up to NY almost 7 years ago and make it back every few months. I too am preparing myself for pullets, doing some reading and research before I take the plunge. I'm sorry you lost a few of the chicks you're caring for, but it sounds like the remaining ones are in good hands. All the best!

7. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    [​IMG] from Alabama.. Glad you joined!!

8. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    [​IMG] from Central PA! If you were a little closer I would be able to help out.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Try finding a 4-H club. They might have a member willing to take them. Good luck. [​IMG]

10. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I'll try the 4-H club route. I took a beekeeping class from someone who has chickens, so I might see if he is willing to add two more to his flock. I just know my limits and as much as I love the chicks, I also know I am not ready to take care of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by