cluckinthecity

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 20, 2011
Portland Oregon
Hello everybody,

I feel like I already know some of you.
frow.gif

When chickens became legal here in the city, I watched one house on my daily route start out with chickens. Then one neighbor after another. When the chickens arrived the other side of my fence and were scratching on their side of the fence , feet from my back door stoop where I sit. I loved the idea but was concerned about mice ! What if little meeses came for the chicken food ?
hide.gif
That's when I found all of you. Thanks for the help on that one.

Wondering if all this chicken business was just another passing fad, I waited. More neighbors got chickens..more shops are nearby selling the stuff chicken owners need. Been reading for a couple years now, talking to neighbor chicken folk, looking at their hens...I came to the conclusion a couple hens would be just right for me too.

My coop is now built by my neighbor...lucky me ! and waits till we get organized to lift the whole thing over the 6 foot fence. I still have fence and gate issues to work out, so it seems I probably should wait even longer to get my long awaited hens.

Best news of the day.. I got my first choice of a user name !
ya.gif
How cool is that ? And thank goodness for that..it took over a year to think of one. lol

Signed, Cluck ( Pam)

Last edited:
frow.gif
from California, cluck (Pam)!

I am always so gratified to read of a new member who has done some studying, and planning, and preparation before getting chickens. Kudos to you!

I'm on my porch, using my iPad to access BYC, whilst my flock enjoys the watermelon I just bought for them at a wonderful little farm ' 'round hereabouts. My life has changed so much since I started keeping chickens, and I have BYC and its members to thank for it. I am afraid to imagine how I would have muddled around with my first 8 chicks, otherwise.

Welcome to the forums, filled with thoughtful, funny, helpful, and amazing members. Glad you joined us!

Last edited:
Well hello to you too. (waving to the south )

I know it can be done both ways, but planning ahead has always been more my style. Plus part of my planning got more complex when I decided to be car-free. Tested that the last year and between my bike, walking and our good public transport, it's working well. Sold the van last week, and part of that goes to chickens !

I've located all but hay bales that can go by wagon , bus or foot. I am wondering how bringing home the chickens on the bus will be viewed by my fellow passengers.
lau.gif
The bus rules say it's okay as long as they're in a carrier.

Yes.. this situation does require thinking ahead. I will certainly round out the variety of Back Yard Chicken lovers.

You day sounds so ideal !
smile.png

Last edited:
But wait...

gryeyes

Looked at your page. My coop looks pretty much the same as yours !

I'm also alone.. can you move yours ?

Love the extra wood corner and that makes sense. One of my worries solved.

Mine still need refining in several ways. Where did you find your plans ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom