"Hi from Queensland Australia"

Sarah-Emily

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2016
Hi All, I have often noticed you popping up through out my Facebook Feed, and have finally decided to have a look around and read on what everyone else does to give their chickens a great life. I myself own a half dozen pekins, for pets mainly and breed when people are asking for chickens, and for egg supply I do use the pekins, but for larger eggs I have light Sussex. I have had coronations and speckled sussex, but apparently despite my best efforts they struggle with our 38+ temps throughout summer, so I re homed, what I did not loose to heat. I approach all my animals care with a holistic lifestyle approach, prevention the key to health not treating when ill health occurs, but do have chemicals which on the odd occasion are a fall back, usually I pass along to someone else, as the expiry comes up prior to the item being used up. I am happy to say this is more of an occurrence as my experience and knowledge in preventative measures has improved.

I also breed geese and ducks, and goats. But live on a beef cattle property so my days are never dull or boring.

I look forward to learning more, and build to what I have already learnt. And hope I can share my own knowledge with others for their benefits.

Cheers Sarah

Nice to meet you Sarah. Byc has a large Aussie community - the more, the merrier and "Australia, six states and one funny little island," thread in case you get homesick.

Hello Sarah, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Interesting your Speckled Sussex did not tolerate the heat well, I have 85-90 temperatures and my Speckled's' fared just fine. You use the same approach as me when treating chickens. Though I did get too lax recently and now I am dealing with a lice out break. *sigh. But I am treating it naturally and not about to give up either! Do you use essential oils on your chickens? I hope you enjoy BYC. Oh, and you might like this thread:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/729605/the-natural-chicken-keeping-thread-ots-welcome

Hi Sarah, and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and thanks for your introduction. I'm sure that we will benefit from your input and I hope that you also learn the odd thing along the way.

Best wishes

CT

Thank You all, I do hope to learn things I have not heard of. Yes, its something I can not comprehend but I had a professional check over a few and heat stroke was cause to their death, very odd. But anyhow I love my light sussex always happy and easy going bird. I use oils I get from DoTerra I was signed up by a relative a while ago, but by chance with my goats went to looking into using the oils and combinations of oils for the animals.

Hello, Sarah, and :welcome. Great to have you in our community! Sounds like you have a busy farm! And I love your approach to raising animals. Best wishes to you and the success of your farm! :)

Back
Top Bottom