Hi from Salt Lake City, Utah

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wendamus, Sep 23, 2012.

1. wendamus

wendamus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Hi folks,

I'm a newbie from just south of Salt :Lake. I've had chickens since May. I lost a few for no apparent reason, and quite a few to my dogs before I got the fencing sorted out.

Now I have 9 laying hens and 22 meat birds close to the right age to slaughter. I also have 4 ducks, one of which is the only bird to lay eggs all summer. I'm really hoping, now that I am starting to put everyone in the coop at night with a light for a few hours, that they'll start to lay.

My laying hens are an assortment - one Auracauna, two Silver Laced Wyandottes, three Cuckoo Marans, two barred rocks, and a rhode island red. I like that they're all colorful and different.

My meat birds are all Cornish/Rock crosses. About 4 lbs now, except for the four left over from the spring that are running 10-12 lbs.

Until now, since they were old enough, they've free ranged in about 1/3 of an overgrown lawn. I feed them once a day, and that seems to have kept the meat birds from getting so heavy their legs were at risk. Two of the Cornish Rock crosses are roosters, and have started bossing the hens around. They're so big and fat, the laying hens just run away and laugh at them. They're starting to get mean, though, so they're going to have to become dinner soon. I've only ever killed birds that were so traumatized from the dogs that they weren't going to make it anyway. So wish me luck when the time comes.

Thanks for this forum, I've already lurked a little and looked up a lot of stuff.

-Wendy

2. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Greetings from Kentucky Wendy! Welcome aboard and best of luck to you and your flock. Sounds like a wonderful assortment.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  3. wendamus

wendamus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Thanks! I have a weird question. I've seen lots of posts where people love their chickens, give them names etc. Am I going to offend anyone if I treat them like... farm animals? In particular, I'm worried because I have both birds for meat and for eggs.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. If you are going to use a light for some extra daylight for egg laying, I suggest you put it on a timer and set it to come on around 4 or 5 am. It is always better for the chickens to be able to go to roost under natural light instead of going dark on them before they are able to get on their roost. Good luck and enjoy. :thumbsup

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

9. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Good luck and hope you get some eggs soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by