Hi from San Diego

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hens4thehudds, Jul 30, 2011.

1. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    I just got 6 chicks 3 from the local feed store and 5 (unsexed) from a local chicken enthusiast. We acutually lost two chicks (unsexed) to what I now believe is coccidia. My two favorite ones:( anyway we have 3 barred rock (olive eggers) and 3 easter eggers. I think we may have two roosters in the bunch and since we live in the city I am trying to get some opinions...
    [​IMG]
    the above picture we have Gresio on the left (roo?) and Sparky on the right (roo)
    is that right?
    here is another picture
    [​IMG]

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    [​IMG]

3. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Thanks! any thoughts on my chickies???[​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are olive eggers, they are not "barred rocks", they could be a barred rock mix with ameraucana. However, I notice they have feather legs, so it think they are a Cukoo Marans and Ameraucana cross. That would definitely make them "Olive Eggers". Keep using the corid if you suspect Cocci, see the archives for dosage advice, etc. Good luck with your chicks. BTW, I am in So. Cal, too! I know there is someone in San Diego who breeds barred olive eggers, I bet your birds came from him. He's on BYC too. If so, they are a project he's working on, Barred Olive Eggers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  6. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Yes we are in North county San Diego, and they live down the street from us if it is the same person....does that mean that the sexing rules do not apply???

7. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hello and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm so sorry about your loss to coccidiosis.[​IMG]. It's too early to sex them I believe.

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

10. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    [​IMG] I hope you get answers on your chicks. We're still playing the waiting game to see what ours are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by