Hi from San Diego!

chickspea

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2015
We are new to having a larger flock, and brave (stupid? :D) enough to get a bunch of day old, straight run chicks (the breeder didn't sell some of the breeds only straight run).
We enjoy every minute so far, they are growing, getting feathered and friendly, and yah, some are turning into cockerels :).

We have so far two OE, two GCM, one BO, two Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons, four Lavender Ameraucanas, one Black Australorp, one Silver Laces Wyandotte, one French Black Copper Maran, one Salmon Faverolle..
Keeping fingers crossed to have as many hens as possible, and a nice bunch of various colors of eggs :).

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. You will definitely have a colorful egg basket. In my personal opinion, the chocolate eggs of the Marans are the prettiest in the chicken world. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting those eggs.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I hope not all the Marans will be cockerels then.. :)

If you have any suggestions how make our little Havanese doggie less interested in eating the chicks :) that would be very much appreciated :).

As for the chicks, so far we have mainly questions regarding their gender :), one GCM and the SPW seem to be cockerels.
Unfortunately they are the favorites, too, so there will be a fight about how many cockerels we can keep, if we can keep any in the neighborhood.. *Sigh*

We will surely have some other questions as they grow..

Thank you for the warm welcome! I hope not all the Marans will be cockerels then.. :)

If you have any suggestions how make our little Havanese doggie less interested in eating the chicks :) that would be very much appreciated :).
You're welcome. Unfortunately dogs and chickens typically don't mix well. We get lots of letters from new members who are shocked because their seemingly benign dog (even small ones like chihuahuas) suddenly and unexpectedly chased and killed their chickens. And once a dog has killed a chicken, it's virtually impossible to break them from doing it again. Dogs just naturally seem to view chickens either as prey, or as chew toys. I would strongly recommend keeping your Havanese and your chickens separated by putting one or the other of them (or both) in some kind of enclosure. Good luck with your flock.

Uhh, ohh... Thanks again for the welcoming words and the advice..

Our doggie bit two hens from our last very small flock (short lived, thx to raccoons and the heat form last summer), and since she goes totally crazy when she sees a chick.. She almost caught one GCM today in from of my nose..

Well, I will just have to keep them totally separated then :(...

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom