Hi from San Jacinto county Texas.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by greybeard, Oct 22, 2011.

1. greybeard

greybeard New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Sort of--been around them most of my life, tho I currently don't have any. Plan on getting some next spring and hose them in a no longer used 12 X12 covered dogpen, fenced with 6' chainlink. Also have a pretty large garden area with 6' chainlink and a covered on trailer chicken house that I may try to use in that garden just prior to the planting season.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    none

(3) What breeds do you have?
    none

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Google, while searching for "feedbox".

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Cattle. Pontiac Fieros (Have 2--we had 5 a couple years ago--had to 'thin the herd to maintain my sanity and wallet), gardening, and fishing.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Just the 2 of us here--myself and my wonderful wife--(thankfully) all the kids (4) and grandthugs (8) live out of state.

My near term BYC interest is going to be waterfowl--ducks and perhaps a couple of geese. I have a large pond on the 59 acres of land that I'd like to keep some ducks on. No island on it, tho I do have a peninsula that I could cut. Loads of USMC type predators here tho (land, water, air) to contend with. Hawks, an eagle, buzzards, coyotes, did have a 5' long alligator -- he's now gone, but have seen some 6" long ones, cougars, bobcats, fox, and just about everything else one can imagine. My property borders the San Jacinto River and otherwise surrounded by Sam Houston National Forest so there's no keeping them out of my land. And, my 3 dogs as well as "other people's dogs"--the ones people can no longer afford to feed and just drop off at my main gate in the dead of night.

I'll be spending a lot of time in the next few days/weeks reading past threads, getting the "lay of the land" so to speak, and gotta admit--picking you guys/gal's brains for info before I jump in and start asking too much directly and exposing my substatial ignorance.
    And THANKS for this website--looks like a great place!!

2. dfriloux

dfriloux Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Welcome from Rosenberg, Texas!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

4. Hen is cute!

Hen is cute! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!! [​IMG]