Hi from SC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CaptMom, Mar 4, 2015.

1. CaptMom

CaptMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    South Carolina
    Hi!

I've just joined BYC. I haven't raised chickens before, but have done lots of reading, especially here and looking to learn more. I am in the process of building my coop and have chicks ordered for a mid April delivery (Buff Orps, and silver and gold laced Wyandotts).

I ordered my chicks from Efowl. Three of the chicks I ordered are RI Reds. Will the 3 breeds be banded or in some way discernible from one another? The 3 reds are for my neighbor and she wants to raise them herself.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to this new adventure!

Glory

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome, you should be able to tell the breeds apart but if you talk to the hatchery, some will mark (sort of with a magic marker type marking) some of the birds if you ask.

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TELL THE RIR. BECAUSE THEY WILL BE BROWN IN COLOR.
    AND MOST OF ALL [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you joined us.

The BO's will be the big yellow gals - like the traditional Easter chick photos. RIR will be a golden brown. Both of these are solid color. The Wyandottes will be 2 toned. You can do a google search on images. I think you will easily be able to tell those breeds apart.

Good luck on your new adventure. Would love to see brooder photos of the flock when they arriveā€¦Never tire of new baby chick pics.

1 person likes this.
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. As the other members have indicated, you should have no trouble telling which chick is which breed. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built and in getting your chicks.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I'm glad you joined our wonderful community!

Those breeds should be pretty easy to tell apart. The Wyandottes will be a greyish/black color, the Orpingtons will be a lovely golden color, and the Rhode Island Red will be a reddish brown. If you're in doubt, look at the combs. Wyandottes have small, flat rose combs, while Orpingtons and Rhode Island Reds have single combs (bumpy/serrated). If you can't tell the Rhode Island Reds from the Orpingtons, remember that Orpingtons have whitish legs and skin, and Rhode Island Reds should have yellow skin.

Good luck with your future chicks!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, you should be able to tell those breeds apart, and if you call them ahead of time most hatcheries will mark the chicks in some way for you.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You will be shocked that although they all look alike, chickens can be distinguished from one another very clearly.

I can tell which is which of my three orpingtons
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by