1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from SD!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lauriemae15, Nov 29, 2012.

1. lauriemae15

lauriemae15 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    South Dakota
    Hello all!
    I'm Laurie from South Dakota. I convinced my husband to let me get six chicks last spring and now we both love them! He even built them their own little chicken house. I grew up on the farm and my mom had chickens and ducks and geese from time to time but I never thought they were much fun until I got my own. They are so tame its just ridiculous! We also have two dogs, two cats, two lovebirds, two ducks named Nellie and Ronald, and a hamster named Alice!

Here are my six ladies, Audrey Hepburn, Doris Day, Betty White, Lucy Ball, Ethel Mertz, and the bossiest one is Martha Stewart.

Are they really Rhode Island Reds like we were told when we bought them? They seem lighter in color than most of the RIR pictures I've seen.
    Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] They do look a bit pale for RIR... Maybe someone here who knows the breed better can tell you.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, lauriemae15, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard!! Glad you entered the world of chicken keeping! I agree with sumi - in the group picture they do look a little light to be RIRs. But also a little dark to be Red Stars...although t your avatar looks a lot like a Red Star. Maybe New Hampshire Reds???? Good luck to you!

4. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Welcome!!!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Most likely they are some form of production reds, mixed breed birds developed from breeds such as RIR for egg-laying purposes. they are often very personable and friendly birds.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by