Hi from South Africa

@whoop whoop I was actually looking reading about that this week too because I was wondering how long my new chickens eggs will be fertile and my NN hen's partner got killed by the neighbours dog this week and I was wondering how long she had to hatch herself a new flock. Fertility does go down a bit after two weeks, so hopefully most of them will be sebrights
fl.gif
How's the hatching going?

@whoop whoop I was actually looking reading about that this week too because I was wondering how long my new chickens eggs will be fertile and my NN hen's partner got killed by the neighbours dog this week and I was wondering how long she had to hatch herself a new flock. Fertility does go down a bit after two weeks, so hopefully most of them will be sebrights
fl.gif
How's the hatching going?
Oh no, poor NN, chickens are just irrestible to some dogs, well most dogs.. Is she missing him? My cochins seemed a bit relieved when Henry went lol

Well I have two more but who knows I don't want to put it out there till they are a bit bigger and I can see for sure.

Hope yours are fertile they should be... is she sitting?
smile.png

Oh no, poor NN, chickens are just irrestible to some dogs, well most dogs.. Is she missing him? My cochins seemed a bit relieved when Henry went lol

Well I have two more but who knows I don't want to put it out there till they are a bit bigger and I can see for sure.

Hope yours are fertile they should be... is she sitting?
smile.png

They are actually my neighbours free range chickens, I was just helping her with the hatch because the neighbours don't take care of them at all. Now that the rooster's gone she's all alone. I sold her chicks a week ago because I'm going away and can't get anyone to take care of them while I'm away. She lays so many I thought she'd be fine and then two days later the dog killed the rooster so I feel terrible. Now she's free ranging again, so I'm not sure if she's laying yet. She's not sitting yet, she just hangs around the house all day and disappears every now and then, so hopefully she's started laying somewhere safe. If she's sitting by the time I get back I'll move her into the coop again.

I was supposed to be geting some Boschveld today, but I can't get hold of the guy that's supposed to bring them, so if she's broody again when I get back she can have the coop to herself for a while. I really hope she'll have fertile eggs. She was also only with the roo for a few days before he got killed.

They are actually my neighbours free range chickens, I was just helping her with the hatch because the neighbours don't take care of them at all. Now that the rooster's gone she's all alone. I sold her chicks a week ago because I'm going away and can't get anyone to take care of them while I'm away. She lays so many I thought she'd be fine and then two days later the dog killed the rooster so I feel terrible. Now she's free ranging again, so I'm not sure if she's laying yet. She's not sitting yet, she just hangs around the house all day and disappears every now and then, so hopefully she's started laying somewhere safe. If she's sitting by the time I get back I'll move her into the coop again.

I was supposed to be geting some Boschveld today, but I can't get hold of the guy that's supposed to bring them, so if she's broody again when I get back she can have the coop to herself for a while. I really hope she'll have fertile eggs. She was also only with the roo for a few days before he got killed.
That is terrible, poor NN, poor you
hugs.gif
a guy up the road from me has Boschveld, always wondered what they look like they can be varying his Rooster is red with greenish black tail feathers and very handsome he is too. He just lets them wander all over the road, I am surprised they don't get run over.

So your neighbours have free range chooks and don't care for them - that is really bad, do they have a lot? Well I hope you enjoy your break and hope by the time you get back NN will surpise you.

That is terrible, poor NN, poor you
hugs.gif
a guy up the road from me has Boschveld, always wondered what they look like they can be varying his Rooster is red with greenish black tail feathers and very handsome he is too. He just lets them wander all over the road, I am surprised they don't get run over.

So your neighbours have free range chooks and don't care for them - that is really bad, do they have a lot? Well I hope you enjoy your break and hope by the time you get back NN will surpise you.

They had about 30 in a tiny little coop, the roosters all killed eachother and they got bored with them so they just 'set them free'. All the rest were killed by predators and dogs except for the top rooster and the NN. They've been living wild basically for the past 3 or 4 years. We only moved to this house about a year ago, and I noticed that every time the hen hatched out eggs all her chicks would disappear within a day or two. 4 months ago I just couldn't let them go on like that so I saved the 3 chicks she had left and built a coop and closed run for them. Then the next time she was sitting I moved her whole nest into the coop. I can't do anything for her right now, but I'll see how she's doing when I get back. If she doesn't manage to hatch anything I'll have to get her some friends.

They had about 30 in a tiny little coop, the roosters all killed eachother and they got bored with them so they just 'set them free'. All the rest were killed by predators and dogs except for the top rooster and the NN. They've been living wild basically for the past 3 or 4 years. We only moved to this house about a year ago, and I noticed that every time the hen hatched out eggs all her chicks would disappear within a day or two. 4 months ago I just couldn't let them go on like that so I saved the 3 chicks she had left and built a coop and closed run for them. Then the next time she was sitting I moved her whole nest into the coop. I can't do anything for her right now, but I'll see how she's doing when I get back. If she doesn't manage to hatch anything I'll have to get her some friends.
Some people just shouldn't be allowed near birds/animals. How positively awful the Roos killing each other, just can't imagine. I am so glad you managed to save a few. Poor NN she needs some friends bet you will be the best chicken owner when you start for real.
D.gif

Welcome from the other side of the world in Arkansas. I am sure you will enjoy all the people and info you will find on BYC isn't communication great this day and age people chatting in real time all over the world with common interest's.
Have a nice day or is it night there
Harry

Some people just shouldn't be allowed near birds/animals. How positively awful the Roos killing each other, just can't imagine. I am so glad you managed to save a few. Poor NN she needs some friends bet you will be the best chicken owner when you start for real.
D.gif

Thanks! I do try to take propper care of my animals. It makes me so mad when people are so irresponsible with their animals.

@chameleon I have just realised I implied you are not an expert, sorry didn't mean to offend. My hubby used to say to me, I only get invited to places twice - the second time to apologise
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom