Hi From South Africa

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ericvin, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Ericvin

Ericvin New Egg

Oct 31, 2011
    Hi to all I'm Eric married to Veronica father of two sons Richard and David ,Grandfather to 2 grand kids, Kayla (6yrs old) daughter of Richard and my grandson is Mark(11months old) son of David.

We have 10 acres in a beautiful valley 30 KM south oh Johannesburg.Firstly let me say I am new to chickens but have been toying with the idea for a number of years now.(I have a book given to me by my father more than 20 yrs ago The South African Poultry Book (4th Edition) written by Charles W Smith this book was first written in the late 1940 s early 50 s )which i have read over and over dreaming of one day owning chickens.
    Lo and behold on Christmas day 2011 Santa left me a huge box under the tree and inside were 3 chickens a rooster and 2 hens age unknown but not babies BIG CHICKENS.My sister decided that 3 was not enough so she added another 2 (is what chicken maths is ??) bought at the local farmers market, so i am now the proud owner of 5 chickens.4 Rhode island reds and a potch koekoek rooster.(according to the seller) since reading some of the posts here i believe them to be production reds and a koekoek see link http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Koek/BRKKoekoek.html

I am in the process of building housing accommodation for these birds and its taking ages will post some pics as soon as i know how to upload or if someone would like to help ?

BIG THANKS to BYC and its members for the usefull advice and member coop pictures for the ideas its really been a great help thank you

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]

3. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the BYC gang! This is the best site for all things fowl and I know you are going to enjoy it.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas.

6. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    [​IMG]

7. Professor Zachary

Professor Zachary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    [​IMG]

8. Kara515

Kara515 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    [​IMG] from Southeast Missouri!! Glad you joined us!! What a terrific Christmas present to find under the tree!!!! [​IMG]

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Chicken math results in not being able to figure out how you got so many birds, where they came from, or what you are going to do with them all :/

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by