Hi from south Alabama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GCgrits, Dec 17, 2013.

1. GCgrits

GCgrits New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    I just joined because 2014 will be the year I start raising chickens. I have 5 acres near the FL/AL border and have focused my first few years in getting vegetables, fruit, nuts and herbs planted, productive and preserved. Now that there isn't a lot of new work to do there, I'm moving into animal raising, starting with chickens. I still have a lot to learn but will likely purchase some birds come spring. I will probably lurk for a while, reading posts but I'm positive there will be lots of questions as I get closer to C Day!

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC!

3. GCgrits

GCgrits New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    Hi Petrel, I like your chicken coop. I'm hoping to find someone to hire around here to build me one. Second choice purchase a kit or one already built. I see you have some Andalusians. What is your experience with them? They are on my short list as part of my flock.

4. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Welcome in GC,
    What types of chickens are you planning on? Eggs, Meat. Pet. Lots of choices for you. We lived in Mobile back in the mid-80s really enjoyed the area and people.

5. GCgrits

GCgrits New Egg

Dec 17, 2013
    The chickens will be egg producing. I have a wonderful young couple who raise chickens for meat and plan to stay with buying meats (also raise pigs and cattle) from them. While my grandmother could wring a chicken's neck with a quick snap of the wrist, I think I will be a better egg raiser. At least to begin with. Finding good local eggs is much more of a challenge. My short list of breeds so far are Andalusians, White Faced Black Spanish and White Plymouth Rock. I'm wading through books and talking with the sources of chicks in the area to see what will be available come Spring.

Mobile is southwest of my location. I'm up on the northern border of FL above Santa Rosa and Okaloosa county, nearly surrounded by the Conecuh National Forest.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome to BYC and Happy Holidays! You might want to check out the Alabama/Florida threads in the Where Am I Where Are You forum and I believe all three breeds you are looking at have threads and reviews in the Breeds section.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Since your going for eggs, the Leghorns, Rhode Island Reds,Sex Links (RedStars - BlackStars), Light Sussex, or Plymouth Rocks are ones you should look at. We have the Red Stars and currently this flock started laying at week 23 and within 10 days all were laying one a day.
    Best to you.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck in establishing your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by