Hi from South Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by citybiddies, Jun 10, 2011.

1. citybiddies

citybiddies In the Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    Hi All,
    We are new to keeping chickens this year and are learning so much from the forum and watching our flock. We have 4 RIR and 2 BO pullets that we got as day olds from the feed store back in Feb. They are 15 weeks now so hopefully in a month or two we'll have plenty of eggs. Neither my husband or I have ever had chickens and we live in the suburbs, but we did a "rent-a chick" program last year as part of homeschooling and fell in love with them. We had to return the 3 RIR's we had to the local farm after 2 weeks, but we read everything we could get our hands on about chickens and decided to get some of our own this year. We really wanted a source for eggs that we could feel good about and since we have no other animals, "the girls" are also pets for our 3 kids. Their run is set up right outside our kitchen window where we can watch their antics and check on them all day. We even found another use for our old baby monitor - we ran it out to the coop so we can hear if there's trouble or something that they get excited about. Initially it was just for their first few nights out in the "big girl" pen after we moved them out of our garage, but we enjoy the chicken conversation as background noise so we leave it on all the time except when the neighbor runs the leaf blower or chainsaw and it sounds like someone is cutting down a tree in our kitchen.[​IMG]
    I haven't posted anything before this b/c I feel like such a newbie, but I've been lurking for months and wanted to say Hi [​IMG] and how glad I am that such a great community exists! Everyone is so helpful, informative, and supportive! I love it! [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG] from Hollywood, SC!

4. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt