Hi from South Lyon, Michigan

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LyonFuzz, Apr 30, 2008.

1. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    I recently got something I've wanted for a long time...a pretty white silky hen. I plan to give her some friends soon and am leaning towards more silkies due to their small size, pleasing appearance, & friendly disposition. She gives us an egg a day and literally follows us around...especially when treats are involved;) She shares her home with 2 rescued dobermans, 2 flemish giant rabbits, a cat, 2 rats, and some koi. I have already learned so much from this site and am very glad to have found it:)

DSC00014a

2. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    Welcome!!!!!!! I know southlyon well, My hubby works and his family owns the Tuffy auto service center there in town sooooo small world. We personally live a long way away 4 hours north and hubby commutes stays with famlly during the week and comes north for the weekends [​IMG]
    Chickens are cool critter we have a bunch here and we love them. [​IMG] to backyard chicken

3. LyonFuzz

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Meet Darla:)

[​IMG]
    Any opinions or comments on this "spur of the moment" coop would be appreciated. My husband threw it together since the chicken came as a surprise, but I think he did a pretty good job for someone who has never built one before. It has 3 nesting boxes on the left side with a door for easy access and roosts on the right.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm90/lynndoberwoman/DSC00013a.jpg
    [​IMG]
    She loves her bunny friends
    http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm90/lynndoberwoman/DSC00021.jpg

4. LyonFuzz

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Hi neighbor! We've patronized your hubby's business for years:)
    So your chickens do OK with Michigan winters? Do you heat the coop for them?

5. silkieboxerluv

silkieboxerluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Cool setup! Your silkie should be pretty happy in there. Welcome to this great site. Its been soooo helpful to me also. Im in Willis Michigan. Ive got the silkie bug too. 7 silkie babies out of the hatcher yesterday-plus a few more in the coop.

6. runamuck

runamuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern michigan
    My birds do ok with the cold for the most part. We had a couple phoenix roos get some frostbite on there combs due to the coup flooded and it got damp for a couple days . But all and all its been pretty good [​IMG] We have acreage so the birds free range all day long.

7. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Welcome to BYC!!

Stacy

8. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] Your little coop is as cute as can be and so is your little girl.

9. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Welcome, LyonFuzz!

What a nice area for, Darla! [​IMG]

I do think I'd cover part, or all, of the wire with hardware cloth, though. So many critters enjoy a chicken dinner that you have to try and thwart them, and hardware wire with small holes is a good way.

Good luck with Darla, and her sisters-to-be! [​IMG]

10. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    [​IMG] Welcome LyonFuzz! My husband and I grew up in Ann Arbor...and our families are still there even though we've moved. I'm impressed by your 'quick shelter', it took us 2 weeks of weekends and evenings to put coop together.
    Congrats on Darla, she's one cute girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by