Hi from south Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Happyfeathers, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Happyfeathers

Happyfeathers New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Several years ago I raised a flock of very contented free range Barred Plymouth Rock hens out here in the country. I named them all, and loved them.very much. They were great at keeping the garden free of weeds and pests - I even noticed that I didn't see a single copperhead snake in the garden with them around. By day they roamed free in my garden. My garden had a fence, but it was so big that they were free range anyway. By night they slept in the enclosed coop. They were always very busy and very happy, laying so many eggs I couldn't keep up with them.

I don't have chickens at the moment. Well, to make a long story short....the neighbor's property is a 25-acre wilderness of overgrown hedges, filled with coyotes, possums, and raccoons, and there was even a black panther spotted around there. My chicken coop was a good one, but some possums or raccoons finally did find a way to tear open the roof and they took every single one of my chickens.. Lesson learned: Next time, I will build a better roof. I hope I'm not the only one here who have had that experience. I am sure I will raise more chickens. Right now I'm very busy doing two jobs, and I'm in sort of a transition phase, looking to get a place in the city soon, or in the suburbs. So I'm very much looking forward to raising *urban* backyard chickens!

I look forward to using this site, and reading your stories!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. Happyfeathers

Happyfeathers New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Thank you very much! I'm happy to be here.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck with getting back into poultry raising.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by