Hi from Southern California (newbie with adorable 2 week old chicks)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by woodmouse, Mar 3, 2014.

1. woodmouse

woodmouse New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    Hi everyone!

I'm so thankful for this community, I've spent the last six months in obsessive research mode reading all I could find on chickens, including spending many hours on this forum. Honestly, I've learned more here than from any of the (13 and counting!) books I've read on keeping chickens. That's saying something.

We live in Southern California and just got our first batch of six adorable 2-3 week old chicks. 2 Black Australorps, 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks and 2 Easter Eggers. Our coop and run can technically allow for up to 12 birds but we're starting small since we're new at this. I can imagine wanting to get more down the line. I hear that's a thing. [​IMG]

I mean, seriously. This is what I have in my house right now:

[​IMG]

While EEs were not my first choice (my kids were desperate for them though so I relented) I have to say they ARE the cutest and most photogenic of the bunch. It's the eyeliner.

Anyway, I figured it was time to stop lurking and register since I'm likely to have questions and maybe even (someday) answers.

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

That is such a cute photograph, it's always nice when they'll stop and let you get a few snaps.

They'll look very different in a few months' time though. Enjoy the cuteness while you can, lol.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have, good luck and enjoy the site :D

3. woodmouse

woodmouse New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    I'm looking forward to the ugly duckling-er chicken stage too. I think they are hilarious when they look like awkward dinosaurs.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Yes, it's true :lol: The bodies start expanding but the head stays small and comb-less. It is pretty hilarious.

(It's good fun when their voices start breaking as well, they'll try to cheep and all of a sudden this honk will come blasting out of their throat.)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! What a cute photo!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Adorable! [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. As far as total annual egg production goes, EE may not be a first choice, but they are great eye candy and produce far longer than some other birds.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by