Hi from Southern California!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tinkokeshi, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Tinkokeshi

Tinkokeshi Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2017
    La Habra, CA
    Hi all, my husband and I are located in La Habra, CA. We're new to the forum and new to raising chickens! I'll start by answering the recommended introduction questions. :)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Yes, we are new to chickens; not eating them or their eggs, just to raising them. We got our 3 chicks nearly a week ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Three little chicks that are 2.5 weeks old.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    1 Buff Orpington, 1 Welsummer, and 1 Speckled Sussex.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Internet search. I've contemplated raising chickens for a while now, but only recently decided to go for it. (My husband is very supportive.)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    The hubs and I met on a goldfish forum, so neither of us are new to forums. We both used to keep fancy goldfish. Now we have a small koi pond in the back yard with 1 large koi and 1 comet. Other hobbies include travel and eating tasty food.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    It's just the hubs and myself. We have 2 small rescue dogs, and 2 small indoor fish tanks with cory cats and a betta. I am a high school mathematics teacher; I teach Integrated Math 1 and Pre-Calculus. The hubs works in IT.

Looking forward to learning all sorts of new things and watching the little chicks grow!
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and to the chicken keeping adventure! Sounds like a lovely little mixed flock you've got started there...some of my favorite breeds!
    drumstick diva and rjohns39 like this.
  3. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    North Dakota
  4. Tinkokeshi

Tinkokeshi Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2017
    La Habra, CA
    Thanks for the welcome! :)

We started with chicks because I'm deathly afraid of chickens. [​IMG]

Grew up in Texas and my first experience with chickens was in elementary school at my math tutor's family farm. We went out to feed the chickens tasty treats which I imagine consisted of cracked corn, and they all rushed us. Now birds that have beady eyes and that bump on their nose, like chickens and pigeons kinda freak me out.

I figure I will start with cute little chicks and since I'll have raised them, I can't be afraid of them, right? [​IMG]
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Tinkokeshi [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]
    rjohns39 likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    rjohns39 likes this.
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and welcome to BYC! Great to have you in our community! Looks like you've gotten lots of great links and advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!
  9. Mewzikl

Mewzikl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2017
    Hi and welcome!!

I am in La Habra as well.
    this is my first time raising chicks and my girls are now almost 8 weeks although one
    has just started crowing :barnie so I am guessing she, is a he, LOL!

drumstick diva, rjohns39 and N F C like this.
  10. N F C

N F C home again! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013

Hi, it's great to have you here with us! You may learn about one other form of math here on BYC...it's called chicken math and it hits almost all poultry owners so be aware, lol.

Glad you're enjoying the little ones, you have some very nice breeds. Best wishes!
    rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by