Hi from Spokane, WA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dreamchaser77, Nov 3, 2011.

1. dreamchaser77

dreamchaser77 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    Spokane
    So, we bought our first house this summer (yay!) and inherited two hens. After doing some research, I'm pretty sure one is a leghorn (wow, those are real?!) and the other is a Rhode Island red. We bought four baby Auracaunas in July, one died at the hands (or should I say jaws) of my black lab [​IMG] and we are still waiting for the other three to lay. I have been frequenting this forum as a lurker for the last several months, since I am a chicken newbie, and have found the answers to most of my questions (thanks everybody!!). I finally decided to join as I have questions, which I will kindly post in another forum. Thanks for the wealth of information that you guys have here, it's so much fun learning about my babies and how to take care of them.

Charity

Inland Northwest urban farmer in training [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    [​IMG] Congrats on the girls.

Yep, Leghorns are real [​IMG] You might want to check to see if your Araucanas are though - Lots of people sell mutts labelled as Araucanas.

4. dreamchaser77

Nov 2, 2011
    Spokane
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm pretty sure they are Auracaunas. I got them from a local seed and feed store with a good reputation, plus I did some research and found the difference between Easter Egg hens and Auracaunas, mine have the muffs coming in and the flat combs (which I'm to understand is a pretty good indicator), plus the coloring seems to match Auracaunas.

5. Newwell

Newwell Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Welcome from Oregon!!! Glad you are here. Yeap, this place has LOTS of great advice.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] Sorry but Feedstores are one of those who claim to sell such but don't.

Muffs are a characteristic of "Easter Egger" chickens, what you really have. Araucanas don't have tails, nor muffs or beards either. Instead they have small to large curling feathers that look like a bowtie coming from both sides of the face called Tufts. When you Google "Araucana" in the images section, what you're seeing are an assortment of photos of real Araucanas (the round ones without tails) as well as Easter Eggers (the tailed ones) however a couple are indeed Araucanas, but from countries where the standard is different because they don't have Ameraucanas (our tailed, bearded, blue legged version)

Lots of people get Araucanas confused with the more common "Easter Egger" and to make even more confusion, plenty more people think their "Easter Egger" chickens are the similar Ameraucana, but again, are not.

The confusion began with hatcheries, who sold and misinformed to feedstores, who then misinformed and sold to even your every-day backyard owner.

Check out the Araucana Club of America - Their website can help a lot.

Still, Easter Eggers are great birds. I have some myself [​IMG]

7. dreamchaser77

Nov 2, 2011
    Spokane
    Well, I'm not sure [​IMG] We bought them because they lay green eggs, I thought it would be fun for the kids. The research I did was pretty confusing and there was lots of information. I thought they were Auracaunas (that's what the feed store label said), plus, what I read seemed to indicate such. I figured out that there was a difference, but there seems to be a lot of contradictions as to which is which. Either way, they are happy and healthy and made it through babyhood, I'm a happy mama [​IMG]. Thanks for the information. Perhaps I will get out and take pics tomorrow and post so I can clear up once and for all. I don't care much whether they are or not, but it's nice to know.

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California..

Take a look at the breeds section and you'll see what the differences are. There are lots of threads in the forums too. Ameraucanas and Auracaunas lay blue eggs, but EEs are nice birds too. I have a couple and a few Olive Eggers. Variety in colors is what makes chickens so much fun.

9. dreamchaser77

Nov 2, 2011
    Spokane
    Oh, great! I'll go check that out, since I'm doing absolutely nothing but reading this forum right now. I *should* be in bed *YAWN*, but this is much more fun!

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Oh it gets worse. The insomnia hits and you never log off. It's very very very addictive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by