Hi from Sunny Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bernie55, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Bernie55

Bernie55 New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    I am fairly new to raising chickens. So bear with me. I typically incubate fertile eggs but decided to try letting my sweet little silkie brooders do their thing. Just saw 4 chicks this morning and wanted to know if the hens will care for them? Do I need to remove the rooster from the pen or any other special instructions? Thanks for any help.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Bernie, welcome to BYC. If you have a broody that has been setting for a couple weeks and the chicks you want are 3 days or less old, it may be worth a try. Older chicks won't do and a new broody probably won't either. Of course Silkies are super broodies and anything is possible, but very iffy. If you try it, either way, do it at night so that she wakes up with them in the morning. Be there when she wakes up in case she rejects them. DO NOT try this if the hen is not broody or she hasn't been broody for a couple weeks. If your rooster/s are mature, as in over 1 year, they/he shouldn't be a problem. Good luck........Pop

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Were the chicks hatched out by one of your hens? If you know which one, it is a lot safer for the chicks to be separated - with their mother - in their own own pen. Chicks can be injured by other birds, and sometimes hens will fight over them, also potentially leading to injury.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

6. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Bernie55

Bernie55 New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the nice welcome and all the information. Nice to be here. [​IMG]

9. Bernie55

Bernie55 New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Thank you, it helped.

10. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Welcome Bernie55 Check out the thread Florida always sunny side up. It's in the Where am I? Where are you? forum. Always nice to meet a new neighbor. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by