Hi From Tasmania, Australia

vills

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2018
Tasmania
Hi all

Grateful and excited to be able to join this forum and community.

I have acquired four hens, which I suspect are Speckled Sussex and around 18 weeks old. and it's my first time being a backyard chicken owner.

It's winter here, so cold, muddy and very wet. Hope you can all help with few queries and requests for information and advise as they come up. And I hope to be able to do the same for others once I've learned from you all.

Hoping to find other fellow Aussies here also, as I understand medication etc is labelled different here or sells different types of meds.
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
approx 4 weeks ago
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
Not sure, suspect Sussex breed or hybrid
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
searching on the net
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
gardening and travelling
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Live with one other person. And recently moved to Tasmania, so getting used to the cold wet winter weather.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Found it by accident about a week ago whilst searching coccidiosis and chicken poops.

Welcome to BYC!
:yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!
Where you able to clear up the coccidiosis ok?

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP
Hey KikisGirls
Just posted question about it on the diseases and emergencies section...after weeks still don't know if it is coccidiosis or something else...which I hope someone might have ideas about... nothing like experience I say. Vets no help here really...only experienced chicken owners seem to be most helpful. Being a carer is indeed a challenge in the world of feathers. Happy to have joined the family of flock carers! :)

Hey KikisGirls
Just posted question about it on the diseases and emergencies section...after weeks still don't know if it is coccidiosis or something else...which I hope someone might have ideas about... nothing like experience I say. Vets no help here really...only experienced chicken owners seem to be most helpful. Being a carer is indeed a challenge in the world of feathers. Happy to have joined the family of flock carers! :)
I just saw it and responded there. Thanks for letting me know.;)

Hi all

Grateful and excited to be able to join this forum and community.

I have acquired four hens, which I suspect are Speckled Sussex and around 18 weeks old. and it's my first time being a backyard chicken owner.

It's winter here, so cold, muddy and very wet. Hope you can all help with few queries and requests for information and advise as they come up. And I hope to be able to do the same for others once I've learned from you all.

Hoping to find other fellow Aussies here also, as I understand medication etc is labelled different here or sells different types of meds.
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
approx 4 weeks ago
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
Not sure, suspect Sussex breed or hybrid
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
searching on the net
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
gardening and travelling
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Live with one other person. And recently moved to Tasmania, so getting used to the cold wet winter weather.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Found it by accident about a week ago whilst searching coccidiosis and chicken poops.
Vills :welcome

Hi and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/website-announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/?prefix_id=3

You can use this link to contact members in your area -
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island.598568/
Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom