Hi from Tasmania

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by d0tski, Sep 19, 2013.

1. d0tski

d0tski Out Of The Brooder

Hi, I'm Bec. I've been lurking here for a while now, and I thought it might be time to say hi. Most of you don't seem too scary :D

I live in Southern Tasmania on a gorgeous bush block with my two kids (7&9), my partner, 5 hens and 7 chicks. Chicken keeping is new to us, but I think it's safe to say we've all fallen head over heels for our girls. I'm already making plans to acquire a couple of Cochins!

I'm not sure what breeds the hens or chicks are. I've made guesses from looking at pictures, but maybe you guys can help me out if I post over in the breeds forum later.

Here's the obligatory chickpic: This is Chickpea. I am particularly smitten with her. She is the size of a football and sits on my lap making soft little boop-boop sounds :)

[​IMG]

Bec

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome! [​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  4. glendaschicks

glendaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2013
    Welcome! I can see why you're smitten with Chickpea, she looks sweet. Good luck.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] There is an Australian thread called "6 states and one funny little island."

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. hungnguyen

hungnguyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Hi Bec, Are you glad that you and the chicken survived the winter. Can't wait for the spring weather huh. Watch out that Blue hen is laying soon. Welcome to the site.

9. d0tski

d0tski Out Of The Brooder

Hi Hung. We haven't had the chickens for very long, but I was surprised that winter wasn't colder (this is our first in Tassie). I think all this Spring rain is going to be the bigger issue! Chickpea is nearly a year old (I think), and she's given us a few little brown eggs. Is she showing laying behaviour there?

We're averaging 2 eggs a day from the 5 hens, although one has 3 week old chicks. The hens are one and two years old, and we were told not to expect them to lay much. But they were in cramped conditions with only dirt outside, so I'm confident that with some TLC, they'll do fine. And hopefully I get a few pullets out of the chicks! I'm obsessively watching the few that already have combs :D

[​IMG] Single ladies

[​IMG] Mama Hen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's also a little yellow chick with one black wing. Obviously has to be called Lefty ;)

10. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Welcome!

This may seem like a dumb question, but what is a "bush block"?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by