Hi from Tasmania

d0tski

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Southern Tasmania, Australia
Hi, I'm Bec. I've been lurking here for a while now, and I thought it might be time to say hi. Most of you don't seem too scary :D

I live in Southern Tasmania on a gorgeous bush block with my two kids (7&9), my partner, 5 hens and 7 chicks. Chicken keeping is new to us, but I think it's safe to say we've all fallen head over heels for our girls. I'm already making plans to acquire a couple of Cochins!

I'm not sure what breeds the hens or chicks are. I've made guesses from looking at pictures, but maybe you guys can help me out if I post over in the breeds forum later.

Here's the obligatory chickpic: This is Chickpea. I am particularly smitten with her. She is the size of a football and sits on my lap making soft little boop-boop sounds :)

gamehugu.jpg

Bec

Hi Bec, Are you glad that you and the chicken survived the winter. Can't wait for the spring weather huh. Watch out that Blue hen is laying soon. Welcome to the site.

Hi Hung. We haven't had the chickens for very long, but I was surprised that winter wasn't colder (this is our first in Tassie). I think all this Spring rain is going to be the bigger issue! Chickpea is nearly a year old (I think), and she's given us a few little brown eggs. Is she showing laying behaviour there?

We're averaging 2 eggs a day from the 5 hens, although one has 3 week old chicks. The hens are one and two years old, and we were told not to expect them to lay much. But they were in cramped conditions with only dirt outside, so I'm confident that with some TLC, they'll do fine. And hopefully I get a few pullets out of the chicks! I'm obsessively watching the few that already have combs :D

garasupe.jpg
Single ladies

uzezuba4.jpg
Mama Hen

saju3e9y.jpg

a6uguqar.jpg

There's also a little yellow chick with one black wing. Obviously has to be called Lefty ;)

Hi, I'm Bec. I've been lurking here for a while now, and I thought it might be time to say hi. Most of you don't seem too scary
big_smile.png

I live in Southern Tasmania on a gorgeous bush block with my two kids (7&9), my partner, 5 hens and 7 chicks. Chicken keeping is new to us, but I think it's safe to say we've all fallen head over heels for our girls. I'm already making plans to acquire a couple of Cochins!

I'm not sure what breeds the hens or chicks are. I've made guesses from looking at pictures, but maybe you guys can help me out if I post over in the breeds forum later.

Here's the obligatory chickpic: This is Chickpea. I am particularly smitten with her. She is the size of a football and sits on my lap making soft little boop-boop sounds
smile.png

gamehugu.jpg

Bec

Welcome!

This may seem like a dumb question, but what is a "bush block"?

Back
Top Bottom