Hi from Tehachapi, CA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PromiseMe15, Jan 7, 2015.

1. PromiseMe15

PromiseMe15 New Egg

Jan 2, 2015
    tehachapi, California
    Hi evryone I'm from Tehachapi California(southern ca in the mountains). I don't have any chickens yet, but I'm hoping to convince my parents(I'm 15) to let me have some. :) other than that I have a horse and some fish and the tons of animals that "live" in our backyard(bobcats,raccoons, hawks, quail, deer etc.)

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

They more you and they know, the easier it is to get started with chickens!

Stop by our learning center and do a bit of reading. Lots of good articles on getting started with chickens, building the coop, raising the chicks and keeping your adult flock happy, healthy and safe from predators...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I sure hope you can get some chickens soon! Until then, enjoy BYC and we do welcome you to our flock!

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. With all those predators around (bobcats, racoons, hawks, etc.) make sure that you build your coop/run so that it is predator proof. That means using hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as too many predators can either tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the holes in the mesh. There is a good article on predator proofing your flock at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any breed preference?

4. PromiseMe15

PromiseMe15 New Egg

Jan 2, 2015
    tehachapi, California
    Thanks for the advice! I don't really have any breeds in mind, they'll just be something common at the feed store.

5. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] First thing to do is persuade all those other animals (predators) that they would be happier someplace else. Maybe some electrified fencing, maybe covered runs, Maybe a LSGD (live stock guardian dog). Sounds like a rough place to try and raise chickens.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

9. PromiseMe15

PromiseMe15 New Egg

Jan 2, 2015
    tehachapi, California
    The covered run sounds like a good idea. I wish I could get a LGSD but unfortunately my siblings are allergic and my mom simply wouldnt allow it. Keeping the animals out will be tough since we have tons of cats that roam our yard and even a bobcat that lives just up the hill.

10. PromiseMe15

PromiseMe15 New Egg

Jan 2, 2015
    tehachapi, California
    *LSGD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by