Hi from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Neely, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Neely

Neely New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    Hi everyone, I'm Neely from Texas, I'm a wildlife rehabber, vet tech, dog groomer, been married for 15yrs, have two kids, a boy 14, girl 9. I grew up on a game cock farm but idk know much about chicken health. I found a freshly hatched chick that looks like a chipmunk, the lady whose pasture I found it in has several breeds but doesn't know what hen it came from an none of the hens had chicks or were interested in taking it, so June Carter who's now 4wks old is living with me. She's not normal at all, she has to lay in the bed with me then I move her to her cage or she will scream all night, idk if she's a pullet or a roo yet, she exhibits traits of both. She's probably completely healthy but I'm lil miss paranoid so I google everything strange she does, I've bought every feed, grit, vitamin, vetrx, electrolytes, antibiotic, ivermectin an anything else a chicken could possibly need just in case a problem should arise an she need something in an emergency situation. Yeah so I turned out to be a crazy chicken momma!!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. If you don't plan on getting more, you could keep her/him as a house chicken. Check out the "people with house chickens," thread and see how they handle it.

Otherwise chickens are flock animals and need a couple of buddies to hang with.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS many breed chicks start out chipmunk marked. Around 6-8 weeks you can post photos at "what breed or gender is this." and you'll find out.

1 person likes this.
  4. Neely

Neely New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas

5. Neely

Neely New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    My plan is to get a few more, my friend has some eggs in her incubator an she said I can have 3, the only problem is my hubby is anti chicken bc if all the wildlife I have, I'll have to sneak them in! Lol, I love June Carter an I don't think I'll do well with her outside in a coop! [​IMG]

6. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by