Hi, from the Central California Foothills!

TurkenItUp209

Chirping
5 Years
First off, love this site! I am posting for our family unit which lives at 4000' elevation in the Central Cali foothills. Last year we bought 4 day old Black Australorps, they have all grow up to be strong daily layers at our little place here. Today I bought 3 Narragansett turkeys, I love turkeys am infatuated with them. Our family is sportsman oriented, we fish, shoot, grow our own. Love it up here. Caught my hens eating an egg today...not good. We also have 5 week old Golden and Black Sex link and Barred Rock hen girls.

Take Care,

Turken209

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Egg eating is a habit that should be nipped in the bud. There are some tips here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/six-tips-on-breaking-your-egg-eater

Enjoy the site!

images

Gotta love those Black Australorps!! They are all I keep. You know what helps with egg eating?? Curtains. Hang some curtains over your nest boxes. This will make the boxes really dark and they won't mess with the eggs. I hung some cloth up and cut the material into strips so that the birds can look and walk thru the openings. You can remove one strip completely for more light if you wish. But yes, nip this in the bud quick. Remove the eggs as soon as possible and keep the boxes dark. Also using fake eggs left in the boxes all the time, this can help to disway them from pecking at the real eggs.

Good luck and enjoy BYC!

Put some golf balls in their nests - they'll think they are eggs and find they can't break them open. The person I just greeted ahead of you is having the same problem.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Poultry is like a sickness and it can get in the blood stream and even
though the infected party can not see it others can sure it starts with
one or two chickens then ya have mass quantity's of poultry and the
real problem is no one has found a cure and this is the makeup of the
vast quantity's of the BYC personal
lau.gif
barnie.gif
caf.gif