Hi from the North Carolina mountains...

SmallStep

Songster
Apr 26, 2016
I'm not new to Backyard Chickens but somehow I've never gotten around to introducing myself. I've had a flock since 2016. I started out with six. From the original flock, I still have four, one of which, an unintended frizzle, hasn't laid at all this season.

In January or early February, we noticed a chicken hanging out down at our bridge. It was there for a couple of days before we decided to bring it up. Turns out she is a hen--on the small size but not small enough for a bantam. We thought she was an Americauna because she had a muff. But when she didn't lay blue eggs, we figured we had an Easter Egger. Integrating her with our flock was difficult but she finally seemed to be accepted. Lately, however, two of the flock have been tormenting her to the point that she's no longer laying and doesn't even want to come out of the coop. I don't know what turned the tide, but I'm worried.

I recently got six new birds and this Sunday, they'll be six weeks. Two Americaunas, two Red Stars, and two Silver-Laced Wyandottes. They're full of energy and fun to watch. They currently occupy a fenced off half of our coop yard and our feed room, which we turned into temporary quarters for them.

I learned about Backyard Chickens when I started searching for answers online. Backyard Chickens came up time and again, so I created a login and password but didn't use it that much. As my original chickens have gotten older and seem to have more issues, I've turned to it more and more. I have been able to cure two of bumble foot, and I recently followed recommendations for helping one that I suspected of being egg-bound. For now she seems to be ok, but since it's the one that has always had trouble laying, she could be in that shape again.

I'm not new to Backyard Chickens but somehow I've never gotten around to introducing myself. I've had a flock since 2016. I started out with six. From the original flock, I still have four, one of which, an unintended frizzle, hasn't laid at all this season.

In January or early February, we noticed a chicken hanging out down at our bridge. It was there for a couple of days before we decided to bring it up. Turns out she is a hen--on the small size but not small enough for a bantam. We thought she was an Americauna because she had a muff. But when she didn't lay blue eggs, we figured we had an Easter Egger. Integrating her with our flock was difficult but she finally seemed to be accepted. Lately, however, two of the flock have been tormenting her to the point that she's no longer laying and doesn't even want to come out of the coop. I don't know what turned the tide, but I'm worried.

I recently got six new birds and this Sunday, they'll be six weeks. Two Americaunas, two Red Stars, and two Silver-Laced Wyandottes. They're full of energy and fun to watch. They currently occupy a fenced off half of our coop yard and our feed room, which we turned into temporary quarters for them.

I learned about Backyard Chickens when I started searching for answers online. Backyard Chickens came up time and again, so I created a login and password but didn't use it that much. As my original chickens have gotten older and seem to have more issues, I've turned to it more and more. I have been able to cure two of bumble foot, and I recently followed recommendations for helping one that I suspected of being egg-bound. For now she seems to be ok, but since it's the one that has always had trouble laying, she could be in that shape again
Later comer....Anyways..
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Hello from the NC Piedmont! Is there a chance the Bridge chicken may be sick? They will torment a sick chicken and maybe that is the cause of her not laying and staying isolated. I would be careful and not allow her near my new babies til you see what is going on. And- yes, same here with me - old hens are a world of Questions and that is why I ended up here.

Well, the babies and the big girls are separated by a fence and they have separate sleeping quarters. Shortly after she came to us, I wormed the chickens, because she had diarrhea then. (It's not a funny color...just dark brown.) But she was lively, and I just figured it was the new place, new chickens, etc. It was the last of my wormer. You can no longer buy it at a farm store without a prescription.

She seemed a little listless today for the first time, but was still eating and drinking. I plan to call the extension service tomorrow morning first thing. Unfortunately, there are no farm animal vets in my area. I really worries me when one of my girls isn't doing well.

Back
Top Bottom