Hi from the Olympic Peninsula

CarlaSuePNW

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I'm here learning about chickens as part of learning about sustainable permaculture.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I grew up on a farm/ranch with chickens, in Colorado. I have some memories of it, but my mom's setup was much larger and with different goals than what I am considering pursuing. I'm here to learn. I don't yet have chickens or plans to get any soon, but if I understand chicken math correctly, that means I may unwittingly end up with a large flock in a year or two. : )

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Zero chickens.

(3) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening, knitting, political activism, old-home reno.

(4) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We are looking at building a garage with small studio on our property and ways to develop that space and our surrounding land with sustainability in mind. I have been researching permaculture for my area, and how chickens fit with that. So much to learn!

TwoCrows

A Native Raven
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you could join our community! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Might help you get started before you actually do get your birds... https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ Lots of great articles in this section on all the aspect of keeping poultry and to brush up on your chicken skills. ;)

So pull up a roost bar and join in on the chat. Enjoy BYC! :)

CarlaSuePNW

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2017
Hi TwoCrows,
Yes, I have been reading and reading the article section. So many great ideas. I didn't think I could do meat production, but the informative articles on butchering and processing show a process that seems so much more humane and respectful than the way it was done where I grew up. Now I think maybe I could do meat production in addition to eggs.
And the different coop designs are fascinating. Lots to think about!
Thank you,
Carla

Top Bottom