Hi from the Pensacola area

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kate1, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Kate1

Kate1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Pensacola, FL
    What a great community of shared interests, skills and experience! I have been reading for some time and learned a great deal about housing, safe fencing, waterers and much more.
    I started over a year and a half ago with three Rhode Island Reds and did not have a proper set-up so the clean up and work load was difficult to manage before and after work in the dark. I gave them to a friend. Now my almost four week old chicks have a brand new coop and run waiting for them to move in as soon as they are old enough. Maintenance and upkeep is better organized with an enclosed run and I am home more days of the week than before so they can free range when I'm home and be locked up safe when I am gone.
    The girls are 2 Delaware and 2 Rhode Island Reds. The weather has been in the low 80's during the day and around 70 at night. It looks like they will be moving out of the house soon. That is both good and bad. Bad because I will miss the constant observation of the brooder right beside my computer station and good because it will be a relief to have a clean place- free of dust, litter and the other stuff they leave about.
    There is a Poultry show at the Fairgrounds this weekend (March 31/12) held by the Panhandle Poultry Club. The president of the club raises Australorps and will sell me two pullets as soon as they can be sexed. I am looking forward to seeing all the different breeds, talking chicken and joining the club.
    Kate
    Navarre, FL

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC, Kate! [​IMG] You might want to check in at the Florida thread. There may be some other BYCers going to that Poultry show. [​IMG]

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] from a fellow Floridian!

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from a neighbor in SE Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So happy to have you aboard. :thumbsup

10. Kate1

Kate1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Pensacola, FL
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.
    Lothiriel, I checked the florida thread but all those listed in my area seem to have stopped posting some time ago. I think they dropped out and moved on. I guess they are experienced now and can wing it on their own.
    I am looking forward to the show tomorrow- meeting so many chicken fanciers. No one in my circle of friends and acquaintances has any interest in chickens other than Kiev or friccasee.
    Kate

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by