1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hi from the UK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lydia&Andrew, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Lydia&Andrew

Lydia&Andrew Chirping

Aug 17, 2010
    Cleethorpes
    We're Lydia and Andrew from Cleethorpes, which is on the North East Coast of England.

We've been reading for a while and eventually absorbed enough knowledge to start building our coop and run. We live in town and know that there are foxes in our area, so the run needed to be quite substantial!! We finished all the building work last week and on Sunday picked up our latest family members from a breeder about 70 miles from us. We now have four Orpingtons!!

White (20 weeks old) - She's called Jemima. When we first heard her cluck, she sounded more like a duck than a chicken, so we named her after Jemima Puddleduck!!
    Black (20 weeks old) - She's called Moisha
    Blue (15 weeks old) - She's called BlueBell
    Gold laced (15 weeks old) - She's called Sheryl ...... my 15 year old son has a crush on Sheryl Cole ...... He chose her, so he named her!!

They seem to be settling in pretty well so far, but I think we need some minor adjustments to the run!!! We've got a couple of lovely logs in there from Sherwood Forest (Yes, we asked the Ranger before takng them!!) to make the environment a little more interesting, but we now need to get the food and water up off the ground. Jemima's clearly in charge and does seem to be picking on the younger ones a little too much at the moment. Even when she's not hungry, she'll chase Sheryl and Bluebell away from the feeder. I think we'll have to spend some time with the little ones and hand feed them daily until they're a bit bigger.

Thanks for reading ....... any advice would be gratefully received!!

Lydia and Andrew.

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Hi Lydia and Andrew [​IMG]
    I love Orps!!!

3. hughmac312

hughmac312 In the Brooder

welcome to the site

its fun and so interesting

hugh and jen

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    [​IMG] from over the border!

Perhaps you could post some pics of your setup and some of our knowledgeable members can advise you. Good luck!

5. tobin123

tobin123 Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    [​IMG] and hi from Indiana

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Hello from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG]

7. Welcome from across the pond in NH! Glad you joined the forum!

8. conroy

conroy Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    welcome from LI NY

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] Hi! from San Diego, California! How fun that BOTH of you are coming into chickens together!! I've learned everything I know here and I'm still learning with my first flock. [​IMG]

10. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Songster

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] From Maine (USA)! [​IMG] I LOVE Orpingtons! They are so wonderful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by