Hi from the UK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ukchickenchap, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Ukchickenchap

Ukchickenchap New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    Ady 50 year old man.. Just built a odd shaped coop/run out old floor beams and mesh off eBay in the corner of the garden with a bought 6hen coup in middle with a frame roof covered with a torp, a 40 foot low fenced out side run to the side of it.. 4 hybrid lady's just started giving 2 or 3 eggs a day.. As winter just starts to set in..Just put a tar paper cover with some foil wall heat retaining lining on the roof and side nest box on either side... Will this be OK when we get colder and snow?? When they come out the coup in mornings they are outside but under the tarp cover and the outer run has not cover.. Just how hardy are chickens?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome! I live in upstate NY where the winters' are pretty chilly. My coop has no insulation and the girls do just fine. If you go to the learning center tab, you will find lots of info. on coops - to heat/or not.
    Where in England are you? Sue

3. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Plenty of draft-free ventilation is better than heat or insulation - we get very cold here (that -20 F thing that was mentioned) and one window of the coop is at least cracked open all year.

6. Ukchickenchap

Ukchickenchap New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    Well had a look aaround site and its full of hands on tested advice.. Thanks for the welcomes and links/advice on day one,, must say still feel uneasy about them being out in little more than a dog kennel with little more then a dry roof keeping them warm.. Have read a few posts about how hardy they really are.. Only had them about 6weeks as got them at point of lay.. And when one got out was putting leaflets in doors at 7am next morning on local streets. Got her back and she's certainly the ring leader of all things and all surprises since (Lillie bight rich red colour into everything first) and am myself surprised how fast you start to worry about them... Sue I'm in Mansfield.. Sort of in the middle of England... It's a area know as the East Midlands but that's about 4 county's the county I'm in is Nottinghamshire famous in history for robbin hood.. Famous now for closed coal mines cheap housing and poles and other eastern European folks takeing over lol

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  7. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I know roughly where you are! I spent 4 years in Cumbria - beautiful area! I was recently back in UK and I see what you mean about empty houses and generally depressed state [​IMG]. Sue

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Most breeds tolerate cold much better than they handle heat.

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by