Hi! From The Virginia Mountains!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HarmonyB, Feb 26, 2013.

1. HarmonyB

HarmonyB New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    Saltville Va
    My name is Harmony and I live in Saltville Va... The salt capitol of the confederacy! My husband and I shared a dream 10 years ago when we first started out... We wanted a small home on a decent chunk of land. We wanted to raise our own meat and grow our own veggies. And we wanted to gather our own eggs! This is the usual way of life for him, as he was born and raised right here where "green" living has always been the natural way of life, but I'm a city girl... born and raised in Jacksonville Florida, and I am having to learn!!!

We bought our home about seven years back, and it was a mess (dilapidated shack built in 1880).. each year we put about 10K into it and we finally moved in 2 years ago. In 2012 we added a LARGE chicken coop and started out with 10 hens and a rooster, and someone gave me my "Ducky" a Pekin hen whom I ADORE! I love her so much I am going to pick up 20 chicks next month at the farmers market. I will figure out who is a boy and who is a girl and keep one drake and 4 more hens... That way I'm sure to have plenty of eggs and ducklings to sell each year. We built her a large run with a shelter, and we dammed up the creek that runs through our yard so she can swim.... all of our birds free-range in the day light hours.

We are also breeding meat rabbits and have a half acre garden planned for the spring... and I'm hoping for some solar panels this year too... would be nice to get a check from the power company each month!

We also have 2 kids who LOVE to gather eggs for me, and a wonderful dog, half mastiff and half husky named Charlie. He is a great self assigned protector of my birds! I can not forget our cute little yard cat named Millie... she is a mighty hunter! Moles and rats beware!

I'm looking forward to meeting folks across the country with like minds that I can learn from as my little hole in the world grows with each season.. I know one thing, I have discovered I love birds! Where have they been my whole life????

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Wow, your place sounds amazing!

1 person likes this.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Harmony, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Sounds like a great life you are leading. Good luck to you and your flock!!

1 person likes this.
  6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop