Hi from Thetford, UK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nutrock, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Nutrock

Nutrock New Egg

Aug 19, 2012
    Norfolk, UK
    Hi, I'm not a "new" member but I couldn't remember if I'd introduced myself.
    I'm Amy and I'm 25 years old from Thetford in Norfolk (UK). My mum has an allotment but its me who looks after the chickens there. We had bought 20 from auction last year but believe it or not, bar 1, THEY WERE ALL COCKERELS!
    Anyway, my uncle let me put them on his field.
    I'm going to look at some 11 week old Foghorns tomorrow evening, just thinking, now I only have 3 hens (my two trusty old English bantam twins and my grey something I can't remember the name of) I'm going to put them in the spare coop and do a really thorough clean of the main coop.
    One question, I'm sort of on a tight budget and wanted to use cleaners from the house.
    Is it ok to use Fairy Liquid to scrub down?
    I don't want it too soaked in there as the ground is just earth and the walls, nesting boxes and perch are wood.
    My plan is to clean it all down with water and fairy liquid mix then throw a load of straw down (especially under the perch)
    I just want to make it nice for them, if I look after them, they'll look after me if you know what I mean. ;)
    Any tips will be greatly welcome and I don't mind doing a bit of DIY if I have to.
    Thanks for reading the essay, looking forward to what you all have to say. :)

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello, and thanks for introducing yourself!
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Amy, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I'm not sure what Fairy Liquid is but I have sanitized my coop before with diluted bleach. It is also recommended that you quarantine the new birds before mixing them with the established bird. You might type in 'quarantining' in the BYC search bar to get more precise advice.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Amy, glad that you are becoming active on site.

7. Nutrock

Nutrock New Egg

Aug 19, 2012
    Norfolk, UK
    Thanks for the warm welcome, looking forward to posting more. :)
    Hey redsoxs, thanks for the info. Fairy Liquid is a popular English washing up liquid to wash plates and cutlery in. (Cuts through grease well)
    I knew about the quarantining but thanks for reminding me, I wouldn't have remembered. I'll read up on it now.
    I had loads more questions but I can't remember a single one now!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by