Hi from Toad Suck, Arkansas

messyjessy

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
I was a teacher for 10 years and always said that I wanted to move to the country and create a little homestead for myself after my children were grown.... keep chickens, goats, grow a garden.... Build a little cabin, live off the grid....... Well, I became disabled almost two years ago with severe fibromyalgia and had to quit working so I decided to start my dream a little early....actually, a lot early. I am almost 40 with two of my children grown and I still have a 10 year old at home. So I sold my house in town, bought a small cabin for myself, husband, and son and an art studio to create my dream. I live a stone's throw from my mom and grandmother who help me and I them. After clearing the land where an old trailer had been (which was a TOTAL MESS), we now have started our homestead. I planted a tiny garden and ordered my first chickens. After a little research, I chose to raise Buff Orpingtons. I have 7 hens (hopefully- I am questioning the gender of one) who are so much fun to watch. My family all pitched in to help build a chicken coop for them which is impressive to me due to the fact that I have no experience in coop building- LOL. Anyway, I will post pictures as soon as I can. As of now, the chickens are about 8 weeks old and full of personality. I know that is probably more than you all wanted to know but there it is.... my story :)

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom