Hi from Tulsa, OK.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BerniePiel, Jul 24, 2011.

1. BerniePiel

BerniePiel New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    Obviously I'm a new member. A little info: Decided two months ago to build a chicken pen and coop when I saw an article on SWA"s Spirit Magazine about raising chickens in an urban setting. I've a tolerably good sized backyard considering I live in Tulsa County. I ordered my birds today and am starting with 3 RIR and 3 Barred Rocks that are about 4 months old, maybe a little older--but they are not chicks.

I plan on letting them out daily from the pen which is 24X16 ft. The coop's footprint is 4X8 with two ramps on either end and 6 nesting boxes on the sides (3 or each side) with outside access to each nest box. There's 8" of ventilation all the way around the top of the 4 sides w/ expanded metal to keep out the critters.

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to and hope someone can help. Here tis:

What do most of you use to line your coop to make cleaning the poop? I pick up the birds tomorrow so any advice as soon as possible will be greatly appreciated. What about vinyl flooring?

As for me: I'm 65 soon to be 66 in a couple of months. My sainted grandmother raised chicken as did my father. I thought it would be a fun thing to do since I just learned that I can have up to 6 in Tulsa Co. (even a rooster!!!) which is great.

If you want to see some pix of the coop, here's a link to my FB page for the coop pix:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2239450423743.129747.1172499599&l=abc353054f&type=1

As you can see it's no where near some of the well-executed coops that I've just recently seen here. But, I think the birds will love it. I'm thinking I'm going to prime the outside and then use some acrylic paint and paint a mural all the way around it. Besides being a lawyer, I'm also a fine art painter (San Francisco Art Institute w/ BFA in 1999 and prelim training at the Lyme Academy of Fine Art 97-98). Indeed, I must confess the idea of painting the chickens and a rooster is appealing to me. Painting them as models in the mural on the exterior of the coop, that is. There are some great chicken paintings out there.

Almost forgot, I'm picking up my new puppy about ten days after I get the birds. Its a bull mastiff and will be about 2 mos old. Any ideas on how to keep Hercules from making a dinner of the birds would also be appreciated. My hope is to raise him so that he befriends the birds or at worst that he just lets them be.

I'm glad to be here and see lots of reading ahead. Thanks for reading my intro and any answers you can provide to my queries.

Bernie Piel

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

The link to the picture said unavailble. We use vinyl in both of our coops. Works real well...

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Hi and welcome Bernie. I too used vinyl on my coop floor- covered with pine shavings. I love the idea of the mural- course we will need pics of that too. As for the puppy- on the leash around the girls, and firm NO at any sign of wanting to go after them. I will be watching for you on the boards- good luck!!

5. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Welcome, fellow Okie - be sure and chime in on the Okie thread.

There is some stuff called Sweet PDZ (it's a horse stall freshener-you can get at Tractor Supply) that I sprinkle on the floors of my coops (which are wood), followed by a dusting of diatomaceous earth, followed with pine shavings. This seems to keep the floors dry and also seems to cut down on flies.

6. BerniePiel

BerniePiel New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    A huge "Thank you" for the welcomes and the good advice. An update, I just bought my chickens from a local breeder and got 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Barred Rocks, and 3 Buff Orphingtons. They seem to like their new home and immediately started eating and scratching grass. I'm going to keep them in the pen for a day or two before I give them free range on the backyard. I'll see if their curiosity leads them up the ramp and into the coop before enticing them with bread or grain.

Not sure why the link to the photos said "not available". But I guess you can go through Face Book and search Bernie Piel. If I can figure out how to upload photos from iPhoto I'll do that.

I'm going to see if I can find a place that will sell me 48 sq.ft. of scrap vinyl flooring and find some pine wood chips. Okie Amazon had some great ideas about how to keep the flies down and I'm going to follow up with those, as well.

Can't thank you all enough for your advice. Hope to hear from you all again. And if anyone knows how to upload photos to a post, I'd like to hear that, too.

Bernie in Tulsa

7. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nice coop...like the updated pictures. Love the idea of painting the outsidew with your new birds as the models.

Check out the Okie thread in the "Where are you" section. There are several nice folks in the Tulsa area who have back yard flocks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6996693#p6996693

To
    load photos Open a new post or comment page. Go to the top bar menu and select uploads. Click browse, select your photo from your photo file, hit submit. Then left click the size photo you want to post, select copy then go back to the original post and "Paste" it in the post.

8. BerniePiel

BerniePiel New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    Thanks to NanaKat, here are a couple of pix of the new girls in the coop as of this morning.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I promise I'm not going to camp outside tonight!!!

BerniePiel

9. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Very nice.

Are you going to seal or cover the particle board with something else? It is really bad about absorbing water and rotting if you don't seal it.

Edited to add, I think you'll be really happy with your choice of breeds!

10. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    [​IMG] and nice pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by