Hi from TX

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SeasideChef, Jun 4, 2016.

1. SeasideChef

SeasideChef Just Hatched

Jun 3, 2016
    Coastal TX
    Hi from coastal TX!
    Just found this wonderfully informative website. I am totally new to raising chickens, have always wanted to get some hens, but only now finally being able to fulfill this dream. We bought a coop a few days ago, then some baby chicks. The babies are inside the house right now until they are old enough and can be put into the coop. We didn't know which ones to get. The store had a variety of breeds, so we got one of each - 5 in all. The only thing I forgot to get in all the excitement is the name of each breed lol. Anyway, here are some pics of the babies.
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Please make yourself at home! I advise you check out the learning center for helpful articles and tips. Also if you stop by the "What Breed? or Gender?" Forum Someone maybe able to help you with their breeds (and when they are around 6 weeks with their gender). If you have any questions feel free to ask! Good luck and have fun!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. magicstorm

magicstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Lakeland,Fl
    Hello and welcome

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think I see a Rhode Island Red, and a Barred rock - a few weeks can make a big difference.

6. SeasideChef

SeasideChef Just Hatched

Jun 3, 2016
    Coastal TX
    Thank you all for the warm welcomes! Yes indeed there is a Rhode Island Red among my little group. That is the one breed I had in mind when going to the store looking for chicks. But then we saw so many to choose from, and the store's owner said it would be okay to mix them as long as they are all babies, so we got a variety.
    Here is another pic I took today of my son holding them.
    [​IMG]

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us and congrats on your little flock!

All the best
    CT

8. OilyChick

OilyChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    Northeast, Texas
    It will be fun to find out what you have! Welcome!

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Your chicks are adorable, thank you for sharing! Just a quick word of advise, I see you have them on a sheet of newspaper. Newspaper is a bit slippery underfoot and can cause foot and leg issues in growing chicks. Something with a bit more grip, or some wood shavings would be a better option for the brooder.

10. SeasideChef

SeasideChef Just Hatched

Jun 3, 2016
    Coastal TX
    Thanks for the welcomes, and for the tip about the newspaper. I will go out to the store later today and find something better for them. For now I shredded some paper and put it on the bottom of the box. They weren't very happy at first with the change, but then discovered the paper shavings are fun. But I'd rather get them some hay or wood shavings.
    I will post the pics in the breed forum to see if someone might be able to shed light on which breeds we have. I think I am pretty sure about three of them, but two still need help with identification.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by