Hi from- Underground in Chicago Suburbs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eggsnob, Oct 5, 2012.

1. eggsnob

eggsnob Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Hi, I am currently in a city that does have a law on chickens. AGAINST THEM. ha. So Im underground. I have a beautiful blue coop that my husband built from a picture online I wish I could post but Im new so I can't. I currently have:
    2 mystery pullets- rescues
    3 wheaton ameraucanas- laying, rescues
    2 olive egger pullets- rescues
    1 barred rock pullet
    1 bantam lavender ameraucana show quality- laying
    1 bantam wheaton ameraucana- pullet
    1 white bearded silkie- pullet possible roo
    1 RIR- pretty sure he's a roo too (4 months old)

I took some from a feed store where they were dropped off urine soaked and matted with mud. She told me they were from a backyard / apartment in the city. Yea, Im a softy but now they are healthy happy birdies.

Im hoping to rehome most of them because I only want 6 in our backyard at the moment and I have my eyes set on other breeds.

Im working to change our laws but I live in a pretty high brow area where the "Slums" are no less than $300k houses! ha!!!!

I have 4 little girls who socialize the chicks well. You should see how high they can bounce on our trampoline ha ha ha!!!! DOH.

My husband is a firefighter and loves to build things and keep busy on his days off. Im hoping to get a flemish rabbit soon to hop around our yard. We have a 6' privacy fence and we free range during the day. All my neighbors are excited to have natural eggs! HURRY UP SPRING!

Jenns Henns (-:

2. onedoodle3

onedoodle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from West Virginia! Now, we know you don't mean to break the law, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!! [​IMG]That sounds like a great flock of birds!! Good luck getting the laws changed. Everyone I talked to before I got my chickies, told me chickens were messy and they stank. Well, apparently, they never cleaned the coop and pen. [​IMG] Keep us posted on the law situation.

Welcome to the coop! [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Best of luck!

4. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    good luck to ya. :) and remember: if chickens are outlawed, only outlaws will have chickens. :)

5. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, eggsnob, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Good luck with your clandestine chicken efforts!

7. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Greetings from 'The Rolling Hills" of Kentucky! You gotta do what you gotta do! Good for you. Way to go! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. eggsnob

eggsnob Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Wow you guys are great! I think I should call us outlaws for sure. My husband has quite the firefighter stashe growing as we speak ha ha.

10. PFSfarmer

PFSfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    TEXAS
    My Coop
    There is a lot of great people and info here.......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by