Hi from Upstate NY!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChrisWhitcomb, Nov 12, 2019.

1. ChrisWhitcomb

ChrisWhitcomb In the Brooder

Nov 12, 2019
    Upstate NY
    I've been keeping chickens for just over 5 years now. I was excited when I first got day old chicks in the mail. I had all my supplies and a newly built shed/coop. I had done research on what to expect and enjoyed them as they grew and started laying eggs.

Over the years, I've lost some and got more. I found out chickens lay more than just white and brown eggs so I got some easter eggers for blue/green eggs.

I've had a few roos, one mean one and my current one is a sweetheart. He growls at me which I think it cute.

It's been enjoyable keeping chickens, but it is difficult at times.

I've been enjoying this website for information and entertainment for many years. Unfortunately, I have decided to let go of the chickens I have left. I is a difficult decision, but it is for the best.

I may decide in the future to have chickens again. It is nice to know there is such a wonderful support group here.

2. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
  3. N F C

N F C thankful

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

It's hard to give up a flock, but everyone has to do what is best for themselves. There are quite a few members here on BYC that no longer have chickens so stick with us and continue to enjoy the birds vicariously!

4. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Well, we do welcome you, and hope to encourage your chicken math again in the future. We will also do our best to convince you that you need quail (eggs taste like chicken’s), ducks, turkeys, goats...
    For real, look up Coturnix quail. They are so tiny, you can have a few in a birdcage (or small animal cage) in the house.

5. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    5 years ago I had to get rid of my entire flock due to it being overwhelming at the time. I jumped into chickens because I was influenced by those around me. I felt horrible for making that decision, but my flock went to a farm that had over 30 acres. I cried as the farmer took my chickens, but he really helped by talking with me for a while and told me not to give up.

5 years later I have a new flock that I was completely prepared for and it is less overwhelming for me. I started with a few chickens and then I added more as time went on. I now have ducks and I absolutely love them!

You never know you might be like me and come back to it. You can live through us vicariously! :hugs

6. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    You're such an enabler :lau but I love it!

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

8. ChrisWhitcomb

ChrisWhitcomb In the Brooder

Nov 12, 2019
    Upstate NY
    Thank you.
    I think my biggest problems are losing them to the local wildlife or having them get hurt. I also have a hard time in the winter - and knowing I have to take care of them even when I don't want to go outside can be draining sometimes.
    If I do get back into chickens, I've got more ideas, like how to build fort knox, better coop designs, etc. I have been tempted by chicken math, but so far, have been able to resist knowing I could easily get overwhelmed.
    I'll probably live vicariously through this site and laugh at the enablers :lol: Now that I have an account, I may even join in :lau

9. BullChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    If I had known about quail growing up, we would have had at least two dozen in the house.

10. BullChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    In that case...
    7161CD47-E68D-44F7-BA06-9205BEECCC09.jpeg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: