Hi from Vancouver, WA :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AClassicalLife, Jan 25, 2014.

1. AClassicalLife

AClassicalLife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Hi BYCers from Vancouver, WA (about 5 minutes from Portland, OR). I am a lurker/chicken enthusiast of about 3 years and just now getting to the point where I think I can safely, less tentatively say we are going to have chickens. Perhaps not this spring (girl can hope, but probably not) but I want to say next year. We moved from a teeny apartment to a rental house. We are renting from DH's boss, who owns an aviary (he is a real bird enthusiast as well as has chickens of his own). Just have to clear it with him, but we have a huge fenced backyard now. Been waiting 3 years for one of his homes to open up so we are just thrilled to pieces!

Last I checked unlimited hens are legal in Vancouver, WA - roosters are not (fine by me, not looking to breed right now anyway). A few years ago I devoured several chicken books (Chickens for Dummies, Storey's Chickens, Chicken Tractors, Building Chicken Coops for Dummies) but now am going to need to re-read them. [​IMG] Yay!

I can't wait to get my peeps! Now comes the hard part - choosing my breeds! Thinking I will start with 4-6 chicks. I want to support heritage breed breeders but I need a breed that will forage for most of its food, be very hardy for my climate, and produce a lot of eggs. Not flighty either as I don't want them bugging the neighbors going over our fencing - though of course we'll clip the wings. DH has a lot of experience with that working in his boss's aviary thankfully, and I've read some tutorials too... Also would really like them to be affectionate. The last thing is not crucial but pretty and not "common" looking would be nice, but I already realize it might be impossible to get everything else so can sacrifice for sure in the looks department. A lot of the books disagreed on things crucial to me in their breed descriptions, so any insights you can offer are much appreciated!

Did I mention I'm excited? [​IMG]

- Classical

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You will find a lot of answers, to questions you didn't even know you had, at the Learning Center above.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. blackdragon4972

blackdragon4972 New Egg

Jan 26, 2014
    Okmulgee ok
    Hello kinda new this stuff but not to chickens was looking for some automatic feeders was hoping for some ideas to point me in the direction

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Google the Henderson Chicken Chart for a good breed resource

1 person likes this.
  7. blackdragon4972

blackdragon4972 New Egg

Jan 26, 2014
    Okmulgee ok
    Ok thanks

8. AClassicalLife

AClassicalLife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Since I was a lurker (not anymore!) I visited the Learning Center many times and read articles on the BYC facebook page, but of course there's always more to learn. I really enjoyed the books I've read but definitely need a refresher. Thanks for the welcomes, and thank you 1muttsfan for that seriously interesting chart.

Is this forum okay with questions being asked that have been asked before, or is it the type where if a question is asked people say, "search the archives" or some derivative of that? Thanks!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck in your new home and in selecting your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by