Hi from Vermont

Ellen J.

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 28, 2010
Hi all,
I look forward to learning from you all, and hearing your stories. I currently have two pet chickens and I really enjoy them. I work full time as an artist and my chicks like to sit on me while I work.
I heard that a lady down the road had one of her bantams hatch with a slipped tendon and it's leg stuck out at a 90 degree angle from it's body. It just lay in it's pen along with it's siblings and mother hen. I offered to take the chick, and the woman was grateful to give it up because she didn't know what to do for it. She also gave me another (healthy) chick to keep it company. Anyway, I hobbled the legs and the legs are now generally underneath the chick so it can get around but the hock joint remains a problem. The vet said that the leg is about as good as it will ever get without 300.00 worth of surgery. Anyway, despite the fact that the two chicks were raised by their mother hen for the first two weeks of their lives, they are extremely friendly and bonded to people as well as to each other. This makes for the best of both worlds because I can enjoy their company, and when I have to leave the house, the two chicks keep each other company.
I grew up with flocks of backyard chickens and I always thought they were great birds.
Ellen J.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom