1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from Vermont

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GreenMntRanger, Feb 13, 2013.

1. GreenMntRanger

GreenMntRanger New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    new to the forum, but not to BYC's. Been keeping a flock of 20ish birds for a couple years now with pretty good success. I joined for some help with a project I have been tasked with that is a bit beyond my skill set/ knowledge level.

Im looking for information on raising chickens in Tanzania

Here's the deal:

I'm headed to Tanzania (specifically Arusha) this summer to do volunteer work at an school/orphanage for blind and albino children. one of the projects that the group I am going with is a large chicken coop for 50-100 layers/meat birds for the school and to sell. I am interested in plans that are straight forward, with cut lists, and modular to some degree. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, what kind of predators the flock may encounter inside the city limits of a city of over 1 million people

Thanks in advance

GMR

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, GMR, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us. I salute you for your service work. As to your request...I'm not the correct person to ask when it comes to building. And being familiar with BYC I would assume you have checked out the two coops links below?? Hope they help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Predators in a big city: I would think rats, cats, mongooses, dogs, and potentially, people!

Good luck to you and again, your volunteer work is appreciated!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I'm sure someone will give you ideas about your coop, good luck. Since you'll be closer to the equator, expect warmer temps. As far as predators go; I'd think dogs would be an issue, possibly poisonous/non poisonous snakes and scorpions.

4. GreenMntRanger

GreenMntRanger New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    The school and facilities encompass approximately 8 acres and is most if not entirely enclosed with walls/fences. so dogs and people not so much is my guess, but feral cats rats and snakes would be a concern I will guess.

The plans need to be pretty simple as the skill level of the volunteers will vary greatly and the work might have to be duplicated without leadership in the future

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I used to live in Africa, but much further South! The biggest problem we had (apart from theft) is mongoose. I'd suggest you put up really sturdy fencing and make sure there are no small gaps, or you can do what I did with mine. I build a run with wide corrugated sink sheets along the bottom, chicken mesh on top to keep predators out and it worked very well, though it was pricey. The sink sheets stops snakes and the mesh over the top stops creatures jumping over the sinks sheets into the run.

Best of luck with your project!

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Good luck on your project

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC. Best wishes on your travels and work. Please keep us posted on your construction if possible. Sounds like a neat project

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I commend you! Good luck with your project, and [​IMG].

10. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by