Hi from western australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nada77, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Nada77

Nada77 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Hi I'm new and have just hatched my first chickens in an incubator 10 out of 15 have hatched which is great but I have 4 more eggs that i've seen move and I thought I could hear chirping on day 22 its now day 23 and there is still no piping and they haven't moved much except for 1 should I be worried? Well i am but do not know what to do. any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I would give your chicks another day or two before getting concerned. Have you been opening the incubator to remove chicks or leaving them in with the eggs? They can go without eating for at least two days, as they absorb the egg sac.

Every time you open the incubator, the humidity drops inside. This can cause "shrink wrapping," of chicks which can make it very difficult for them to hatch. Are you checking temps and humidity with an accurate hygrometer?

If you feel an absolute need to get into the 'bator - first run hot water in your bathroom shower. When the room is all steamed up, you can carefully bring the 'bator inside and open to remove chicks quickly. If you candle eggs, you may want to check for signs of movement in the remaining eggs, or tap shells to see if you get any response.

Spray some warm water into the bator and over the eggs before closing up and return incubator to its original location. Put you hatched chicks into the brooder with heat lamp and show them where food and water is, by tapping on the bowls.

Please go to Raising backyard chickens forum and check the side bar(right side) for the incubation and hatching threads. You will find more info there. Sending good hatching vibes your way. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  3. Nada77

Aug 5, 2014
    Hi thanks for replying,
    firstly yes I have been opening the bator to get chicks out and I don't have a proper hygrometer, which makes me think I may have caused the shrink wrapping. :-( I have temp readings at 38 degrees which obviously drop when I've opened the bator but rise back to 38 pretty quickly but humidity, I don't know.
    I have one egg that is rocking and looks a little cracked on the outside but no piping, if its shrink wrapped how can I tell it needs help?
    I've not seen the other eggs move today.
    Hopefully I've not shrunk them ill give a couple more days.

Thanks again

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I would recommend posting your question in the Incubating and Hatching Eggs section of the Forum - and good luck.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Make sure your humidity is up around 65% to 70%. All vents wide open on your incubator. I would nature takes it's course on this one. It is never advised to help them out of the shell if they can't get out themselves. Don't open the lid of the incubator for now so it stays nice and humid inside the incubator.

Keep us posted!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You've gotten good advice above.

Best of luck!

9. Nada77

Aug 5, 2014
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by